CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Moodus Reservoir - Upper 06/21
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Moodus Reservoir - Upper 06/21 Reply with quote

I fished Moodus Reservoir for the first time ever with Daryl (aka Daryl) and TurtleKiss (aka Kira). We stayed in the upper reservoir. I paddled my new Future Beach Trophy 126 fishing kayak. Daryl paddled his own Trophy 126 and Kira motored around in Dinghbat (i.e., her trolling motor powered dinghy). We got on the water just before 6:00 am and were off the water by 3:15 pm. It was warm and sunny, and there was very little wind all day. Although this was my first time on the reservoir, I could tell from the water line on a culvert that the water level is two feet lower than normal. I had a silver shallow shad Rapala SSR-7 tied on, but soon discovered that the reservoir was too shallow and weedy for it. So I tied on a wacky rigged five inch green pumpkin/red flake Senko and landed my first fish on the first cast with it:

I ended up landing 21 largemouth bass, all but one of which came on the wacky Senko. Here are the last 20:

I got a 2-1/4 pounder on a Texas rigged 10 inch swirly tail worm. But the fish of the day was a 20 inch, 3-1/2 pounder:

It was my first bass over three pounds this year. Whoo hoo!

Last edited by PECo on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
SAP284

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catches!
Maximillion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish Moodus almost everyday love that lake try Jigging around the rocks on the bridge I always get my biggest bass of the season doing it. Pumpkin seed colored senkos and watermelon/chartreuse colored ones work the best from expirience but good Job PECo let me know next time your down there I might come out and join you

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Looks like you had a great time out there. So how'd the other two do?
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximillion - I did just a quick paddle past the rocks on the bridge because there were four bucket people fishing both sides of it (i.e., in both the upper and the lower reservoir). They had bobbers in the water and weren't having any luck, at least while I was nearby. We had full sun yesterday, so I spent the day looking for cover. We caught tons of 12 to 14 inchers underneath lily pads. Most of the shoreline is gently sloped and very shallow, but the 3-1/2 pounder came off of a well shaded laydown in a few feet of water. I saw more than one small bass feeding on the shore in the clear space between the sandy shore and a weedbed. They were chasing food all the way up onto the shore, with their dorsal fins completely out of the water. I also followed a 12 inch bass up a culvert to the incoming stream on the other side. Yes, the water is THAT low! I saw what I thought was either the bass or a trout facing upstream in front of a laydown that blocks the stream and threw my Senko at it. A fish picked it up and began swimming back downstream at me. TWO largemouth bass swam past me; the 12 incher that had my Senko in its mouth and a 16 incher. The 12 incher dropped the Senko as it swam by.

Derek - Daryl boated 15 largemouth bass and one chain pickerel. He also had the wildlife encounter of the day. He'll have to tell you about that. Kira got one bass and one pickerel. She was stubbornly attached to her frog yesterday and spent a lot of time fishing the weed covered shallows. I thought that it was too sunny and warm for that. I guess that I was right. But it was hard finding water with any depth in there. Almost all of the upper reservoir at Moodus is normally six feet deep, but right now it's only four.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the water is very shallow but it rose two feet since spring some of my shore fishing spots are under water already haha its all because of the dam work. I agree a Senko at moodus is probably the best way to catch large numbers I always have luck pulling out plenty of bass on a Senko the big ones go at it alot too but when I get tired of numbers I usually just switch to a jig, there some monsters in moodus and they all love hitting a jig haha but you guys did good nice job its an awesome lake for me especially since I live 5 minutes away. Next time your in the area try giving Babcock pond a try in Colchester its maybe 5-10 Minutes away from moodus and perfect for kayak fishing. Its really weedy there but a weedless senko always does the trick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Maximillion. I figured that the bigger bass normally hide underneath the weeds on the bottom. I didn't see a lot of structure, although I never made it into the southeast corner.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximillion, just how good can Babcock be? I've always wanted to try it...
KS1980

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... That's a good day on the water !! I am suppose to be heading out to Bashan next week, if it is slow maybe I should try Moodus.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stick with Bashan, if I were you. If all of the little 12 to 14 inchers hadn't kept us busy, I would have suggested that we head to the deeper waters of Bashan. I'm sure that you'll kick butt there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: