CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: most productive lakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigh1590

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: most productive lakes Reply with quote

in everyones opinions what are the top five most productive lakes in ct to fisj from a boat... tying to find some new spots to take my 2013 alumacraft ( aka the Toke n boat) that not only will catch big fish but will produce many good size fish... alsoo looking for spots in northern ct that I have overlooked been to all the regular spots... Crystal lake, Coventry, Mansfield hollow, morey pond, the Mash amd the ct river
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone was able to answer all those questions they would be making a living fishing. All your lakes that have boat ramps and regulations that meet your boat type meet those requirements. There is no magic bullet that will produce consistent "Big Fish" in quantity.

There are way to many factors involved. Weather Conditions, Depth, Weeds, "Angler Experience" season, pre/post spawn, shallow/deep ect. You gotta try to figure it out every time you hit the water.

Rich Z and JimFish consistently haul 5+ lb'ers out. I read there post and follow their blogs. I try the same techniques they use. Granted my catch rate has increased but not as consistent as they, Rich Z favors the Drop Shot and a Motor Oil Ribster. I tried countless numbers of times and have yet to catch a Perch on a Ribster. Give me a Arrons Magic 4" Curly Tail Robo Worm and I'll pull something in on the stingiest of days.

JimFish likes 1/2 to 1oz Jigs. Consistently catches "BIG FISH." The only thing I catch is logs on the bottom.

Give me a 1/4oz Bitsy Bug with a Paca Craw Trailer, a Whacky Rig 5" Senko and a Top Water Bone Spook, some decent weed lines and docks and I'll fill my live well (Most of the Time) I am now, after five years of bass fishing venturing into the world of Larger Jigs on a steady basis. Sometime I catch them and sometimes I don't. But I don't quit and I keep trying different techniques to improve.

This is where experience and confidence play a key part.

If you follow the forums many big fish and quantities have been taken in almost all the lakes in CT. Right time, Right equipment, Right attitude and perseverance will eventually put you on a body of water to produce what your looking for.

Candlewood Lake is a perfect example. Yesterday I hit schools of 2/3 pound fish. A friend fishing 5 miles north of me hit schools of 4/5 pound fish. Right time right place right technique.

A few weeks ago I fished Twin Lakes and caught 25 nice fish in three hours. A week later not one.

A tourney at Bantam Lake two weeks ago with Flippy! A lake I almost always do very well at. Got two 11" LM in fifteen minutes then nothing for the rest of the day. Two other boats in the tourney bagged over 15 lbs and culled fish during the day. I fished the same spots. Right place wrong Lures and technique.

Everyone says Bantam Lake is dead since the weed kill by DEEP but my tourney partner is consistently getting 10+ bags.

I firmly believe that attitude plays a key roll in catching fish. If your over anxious and irritated your technique will be way off. If you fish all day with a positive attitude, meaning you don't get frustrated not catching anything right off the start you'll eventually figure it out. Peco and I fished Lake Zoar last week. Peco caught 7 different species of fish. I caught two small bass. But we kept going. The next day I went to a river lake reffered to as the "TOILET" by many anglers due to it's poor fishing. I figured it out after several trips and produced. Fishing the same Jig I used on Zoar I produced a 5+lb LM and several other quality bass while my partner fishing with me caught one all day.

In conclusion pick two or three lakes and fish them. Use your electronics. Learn how to identify structure and fish it. Once you get proficient on those lakes the others will become much easier.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
x182dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything you say for teh most part. I'd like that add that you should always try and get comfortable with new baits/techniques. Never get stuck on one particular bait always try new things.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x182dan wrote:
I agree with everything you say for teh most part. I'd like that add that you should always try and get comfortable with new baits/techniques. Never get stuck on one particular bait always try new things.

Agreed. I just started fishing with jigs this year. Smaller jigs have been productive. Took me a while to learn and now moving on to bigger jigs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i my self have given up on what lake is better or worse they all seem to controlled by out-side forces. i don't get around to much - if i want to get away i go to maine but here is my opinion on the lakes i fish near me!

candlewood - great lake - but you need to put in the time AND all the houses and crowds are not for me

Lilli - another lake that is either really good or horrible - i fish it more than anywhere else because it is close and YOU can catch a variety of fish and when it's not crowded have a nice peaceful day fishing

Zoar the same as LILLI

Squantz pond - a gem of a place from after labor day to memorial day - the fall is a great time to be up there beautiful scenery and BIG SMALL mouth and maybe a walleye (25hp limit)

as i said i don't get around with lilli 5 mins from home i have been putting in the time and it is paying off! CERTAINLY not anyones number one choice BUT it is becoming for me a place to go fish and catch some good ones (it is pike time in lilli now and there are some really dandy ones to be had)

wana fish hit the nail right on the head! GOOD POST!
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey RV! How have ya been. I'm off next Saturday if you want to hit Lilly! Pond Brook Launch pending.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: thanks for getting in-touch Reply with quote

[quote="Wanna Fish"]Hey RV! How have ya been. I'm off next Saturday if you want to hit Lilly! Pond Brook Launch pending.[/quote]

that may work! (please stay in-touch) - i have been ok fished a bunch in the spring till june then got Sciatica in my hip and missed the end of june and july (ouch that hurt) - i went to maine for 2 weeks and i am getting ready for the fall

this time next year hope to be living in Maine - CAN NOT afford to be in CT anymore!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: