CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: motor size on 14 ft aluminum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennethshaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: motor size on 14 ft aluminum Reply with quote

so I have a general question I need to ask you guys. I have a 14 foot lund WC 14 and a 25 horsepower motor. The boat is rated for 25 horsepower but I'm just worried that it might be too heavy of a motor for the boat. I found a 15 horsepower Evinrude locally that may be a better fit but I'm just wondering if thats too small of a motor or I'll be fine with a 25 horsepower motor that the end of the recommended motor size. I'd love to hear you guys have to say. Thanks a lot.
[/i]
ripline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, manufacturers underrate the max motor size of their boats for liability reasons so the 25 is probably fine. As long as they are both 2 strokes the weight difference should not be that great, 30-40 lbs maybe? Check the NADA Guides to find the exact weights if you'd like.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/Outboard-Motors

Lund's are built like tanks and it's nice to have the power when/if you need it. The 15 will get you there, he 25 will do it easier. If I were fishing a river like the CT, I would opt for the 25.

Good luck
kennethshaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: motor size Reply with quote

Rip line,

Thanks for the advice. The motor is a four stroke so it might be on the heavier side of the 25 HP scale.

I'll take a chance.

Ken
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitley stay with the 25hp, you'll be better off for it. Enjoy!!
Fisherman100

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but wont the 25 use more gas????? but id say 15
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you going to fish just lakes and ponds 15 hp would do ya ,in fact a 2hp would work fine but if your planning on takeing it into any part of the Ct. river your going to want the extra HP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: motor size Reply with quote

guys thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to go and keep the 25 horsepower motor. I have another question for all of you. Do I need to reinforce the transom with a quarter inch aluminum plate. Or will the transom be strong enough as is. its not a wooden transom.if anybody else is done this with their boat I would love to to see some pictures as well Thanksfor all your help. This is my first boat and I will be taking out my two 8 year old daughters so safety is my utmost concern right now. Tightlines guys.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the boat is rated for a 25 so the transom should be fine if its showing no signs of rot or damage Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: