CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Mt Tom 9/26
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avidangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Mt Tom 9/26 Reply with quote

Headed up to Mt Tom this morning to give it a go for salmon again. I arrived at 5:45 and started loading up.There was already 1 guy fishing off the beach.He arrived around 5:30 and hadn't even a hit yet.He was bobber fishing minnows while he was tossing a silver kastmaster around.As it began to get light i could see huge schools of alewives just off the beach.There were quite a few trout and 3-6 lb salmon chasing them.There were also trout and salmon jumping all over the pond. I headed out and began trolling past the beach and along the other side.I weaved around the schools using a gold kastmaster 1/4 oz on one side and a scatter rap countdown (shad color) on the other. As i rounded the opposite side across from the beach,something small wacked the scatter rap.As i went for my pole the fish was gone.Then something hit the kastmaster.I reeled in to find a small 10 inch bass.I threw it back and continued trolling. I did a few circles at the beach end without anymore action. The sun was coming up and the alewives started going down deeper.There were still a bunch of fish jumping and i decided to head down the other end where i could see big splashes. I headed down the 202 side then started to cross over and head for the big cove.When i was about halfway across i had a big hit on the kastmaster.It felt like a big trout or salmon.I quickly reeled in the scatter rap and began to play the fish.It jumped out of the water and i could see it was a salmon.As i reeled in it was swimming right towards me.When it got to the side of my kayak i saw it was definitely a salmon as it dove beneath me and started pulling out line.It came up and went back down a couple of times before it was tired enough for me to net. My kastmaster was deep in it's jaw and wouldn't have lost it unless my line snapped. The salmon was 22 inches and weighed 5.9 lbs.WHOO HOO!!!!! My work payed out!

It was just 7:00 and i already had my salmon for the day.I decided to continue trolling the kastmaster to see if i could get a second to catch/photo and release.Even a trout or two. I trolled around the rest of the pond for a couple more hours but,only had a couple more small hits.I headed back in,unloaded/loaded and hit the road at 8:50 AM.I noticed that there were no more fish breaking and the alewives had all gone deep.As i was pulling out the guy on the beach was leaving....skunked. And two other guys 1 kayak and 1canoe were arriving .I could see they looked a bit baffled as to why i was leaving when they were just getting there. "Early bird gets the worm" In my case.....The salmon!

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
babycubcatcher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Catch! You using anything to get the lure down or just running it at its natural depth of a few feet? I always see the alewives on the surface when I am trolling in the morning and wonder if i am trolling too deep at that hour (i'm usually around 25-30 fow).

Also, how are those salmon for eating (i know salmon are great but wondering about the older spawned out ones they stock)? Sounds like a good fight too?

Anywho, congrats again, what a nice looking fish.
avidangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
No weight added.
Was trolling with 8 lb mono just under the surface and pedaling/moving between 2.5 & 3 mph.I usually troll in an S pattern so the lure speeds up and slows down.It seems to get any fish that's following to strike.
Stay in the shade.
As the sun gets higher my lure usually goes deeper..
I even brought my lead core setup but,didn't get a chance to use it since i hooked up while there was still lots of shade.

Here are the rules i try to fish by......

Lip-hooked minnows,alewives and smelts Barely moving, little or no wake 0.5-1.0 mph

Wobblers,metals and small swimmers.Moving right along, small to moderate wake 1.3-2.4 mph

Streamer flies Moving at a good clip, moderate to large wake 2.0-3.5mph

If you don't know your speed you can hold the luer off to the side and watch its action before sending it out and down.
I started out using the Quabbin reservoir techniques last year and had some good luck..........dodger and fly on lead core.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: