CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Mudge Pond, is it worth it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven1smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Mudge Pond, is it worth it? Reply with quote

I've heard some pretty good things from friends about the bass fishing at Mudge pond, and in the lakes and ponds book it says "Good spot to catch a lunker bass." I would be interested in going, but the only problem is, it's a 1.5 hour plus drive. That is a big hike for one day of fishing, so before I get on the road, I'd like to get a little more general information about Mudge pond to see if it is actually worth the trip. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
billybass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never fished mudge pond but i have fished mohawk pond in goshen witch is on the way off of rt 4...and that place is awsome....no houses ,,all woods,,,and great fishing ,its a drive for me to ,but anytime i have gone to mohawk i catchem...you can almost see them ,,the waters real clear..plus they stock it with trout,,,but no moters just oars or trolling but thats good cause its only 16.2 acres
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never fished it either,..but I do know a guy that fishes it all the time and he routinely pulls both quality and quantity out of there!
(To be fair,..he is an exceptional fisherman who does great at most places that he fishes tho....)
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done well there but I do great just up the road at Wonoscompomuc or Lakeville which is just up the road. Then you got Twin lakes which is right around the corner. Also I never beleive that book about the lake being a good bass lake. I've noticed that lakes that have small bass according to the book are better lakes now then lakes that have trophy bass back then that I fish now according to the book.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta keep in mind that those surveys that made the DEP book are from quite a while ago now!! Things can definitely change for a lake over time!

Other thing is that some lakes just fish hard,..regardless of what's in them! Case in point is Mansfield,..which according to the DEP is a tremendous fishery....but what you actually tend to catch from there is a differnt story!! Rolling Eyes
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mansfeild is the King of all pike lakes in CT. I've plan on fishing it this year in the boat then all winter thru the ice for the "one".
steven1smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just4fun wrote:
Gotta keep in mind that those surveys that made the DEP book are from quite a while ago now!! Things can definitely change for a lake over time!

Other thing is that some lakes just fish hard,..regardless of what's in them! Case in point is Mansfield,..which according to the DEP is a tremendous fishery....but what you actually tend to catch from there is a differnt story!! Rolling Eyes

Yep, I have found that out the hard way, especially mansfield. Sad
It seems like there is a fine line between the number of fish that they catch during electrofishing and the fish that will actually bite a lure. Shocked
I'll have to start using the book for discovering new places, directions, and depth maps, instead if there will be good fishing or not!
I think I will leave the fishing category to all of you more experienced fisherman. Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive fished mudge quite a few times over the years when i had my tracker, and a couple times with the little boat before the tracker. Launch sux, but possible to get in with just about anything if you are willing to get all four wheels very wet. Ive fished it at night even. Never had the time of my life in the place, but it is pretty good place and have had a good time fishing the padz with frogs in the summer. Night fishing is good there.
The drive for me was closer to 2 hours drive, milford, up 34 to 84 and north on 7.
It was only really worth it to me if it was a al day event

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the book very usefull for underwater ledges, mountains, and drop offs. I caught a nice walleye thru the ice at Gardner at 22 inches based on when Minnie island drops sharply into deep water. I lined up the spot in the book and it actually worked. I have never even seen the lake before. As the fish though I don't beleive until I go there myself and see.
Bass Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the same thing with the book as BT. the fishing in the book is off now but i use it for depths and what not......Mansfield is the king pike place huh? I heard Bantam was, havent fished either of them yet, but this year im targeting Pike hard! maybe ill see ya out there...
On twenty-pound test "
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BS take a look at the catch and release records for 2008 pike and see which lakes they all came out of. For pike your wasting your time after June but late fall is good and of course thru the ice is prime.
MarkO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lake...PM sent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: