CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Fishing Tournaments
Viewing Topic: Multi species tourny in August CANCELLED Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:
[I don't like that one misguided hungry striper could make the tournament one-sided automatically. Also, anyone can make that long run, catch a striper, and return...then catch a sunfish & catfish with relative ease. I'm sure you'd be able to find some serious carp/catfish fisherman who'd love to team up with the bass fisherman on something like this.

The chances of catching a keeper striper in the river in August are just about zero unless you can be at the rivermouth before sunrise. Even there,..the striper bite would be very hit or miss and shuts off like a faucet as soon as the sun shows above the horizon, so you really don't need to worry about it unless the tourney begins around 3AM. (In which case,..count me in!! Razz )
flippy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all Believe me I have these tricks pretty much knocked out so before anybody gets crazy about fishing off shore or even catching a striper just hang on your starting to assume too much. You dont know where the tourny will be out of, you definetly dont know what the tide will be, you will make a very long run to catch a KEEPER striper, It is a serious gamble. you will only have time to look for a keeper striper and then theres a hell of a boat ride back in AUGUST. If you fish off shore you must fish at boat ramp you will not be allowed to jump in a car and go to a spot, Dont worry I promise you , It will be a tough tourny Twisted Evil And you will wish your in a boat. Hint Hint, it will be a run no matter what your going for Laughing
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
First of all Believe me I have these tricks pretty much knocked out so before anybody gets crazy about fishing off shore or even catching a striper just hang on your starting to assume too much. You dont know where the tourny will be out of, you definetly dont know what the tide will be, you will make a very long run to catch a KEEPER striper, It is a serious gamble. you will only have time to look for a keeper striper and then theres a hell of a boat ride back in AUGUST. If you fish off shore you must fish at boat ramp you will not be allowed to jump in a car and go to a spot, Dont worry I promise you , It will be a tough tourny Twisted Evil And you will wish your in a boat. Hint Hint, it will be a run no matter what your going for Laughing

Let me make it perfectly clear that I don't know anything about catching stripers. The only ones I've caught were off a charter boat in the OCEAN. But why even put the striper clause in there if you're so sure no one will catch one?

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
flippy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not saying its impossible but its going to be very diffcult and very lucky to get one, you would have to make a run to near or in the mouth of the river, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE RIVERS LIKE IN AUGUST? so many boats, no wake zones,like I said.. the tide, as for fishing off shore, you can try.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
Im not saying its impossible but its going to be very diffcult and very lucky to get one, you would have to make a run to near or in the mouth of the river, DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE RIVERS LIKE IN AUGUST? so many boats, no wake zones,like I said.. the tide, as for fishing off shore, you can try.

I'm from Wethersfield, familiar with the cove and meadows, but I've only fished from shore there a handful of times in the past 2 decades, never from a boat. Most of my adult life has been spent fishing from a canoe, a kayak, or a dinghy. When you have to row & fish at the same time, it's just easier and safer to stick with smaller inland lakes/ponds.

On a really windy day, it's taken me over an hour to row my dinghy from one side of Lower Bolton to the other. Heavy wooden oars...it's horrible. The water is usually like glass at the insane times I arrive though. To answer your question - yes, I know what the river is like, and that's exactly why I avoid it.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tk, invest in a 40lbs thrust trolling motor and a battery. Thats what I used for 10 years. Most of the smaller lakes it is all you need. You should be able to get both for under 250 and it makes fishing a lot more enjoyable. My last boat was a 14er with a 15 hp tiller and a 47lb thrust minkota. I used the trolling motor 95% of the time. The only time I really use the outboard is on the river for obvious reasons. It really nice, no noise and no rowing against the wind to stay in position. I am sure some one on here has a tiller trolling motor the would sell for cheap. You can get a new one for under 200 at walmart. well worth it.

Justin
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bass Addict wrote:
tk, invest in a 40lbs thrust trolling motor and a battery. Thats what I used for 10 years. Most of the smaller lakes it is all you need. You should be able to get both for under 250 and it makes fishing a lot more enjoyable. My last boat was a 14er with a 15 hp tiller and a 47lb thrust minkota. I used the trolling motor 95% of the time. The only time I really use the outboard is on the river for obvious reasons. It really nice, no noise and no rowing against the wind to stay in position. I am sure some one on here has a tiller trolling motor the would sell for cheap. You can get a new one for under 200 at walmart. well worth it.

Thanks for the reply, Justin. I got an Minn Kota Endura 30 for my birthday, which should be fine to push my 7' fiberglass dinghy around. Got the charger & circuit breaker, so as soon as I decide on a battery, I'll be all set. It's not the sleekest thing on the water, but it'll help me catch more fish, and I'm definitely looking forward to rowing less...I'll use the oars a little bit too...it's the only exercise I get. I still won't be fishing the river though.

flippy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that in this tourny my non boater better wear a mouthpiece and a kidney belt, hopefully it rains, to keep the boat traffic down, dont want to many chipped teeth Laughing
billybass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower Bolton is one of my favs
But for some reason the wind is always there
but Bass Addict is right places like that you can
rock that trolling motor the whole time..Ice fishing there
is great but with that wind....Brrrrrr
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billybass wrote:
Lower Bolton is one of my favs
But for some reason the wind is always there
but Bass Addict is right places like that you can
rock that trolling motor the whole time..Ice fishing there
is great but with that wind....Brrrrrr

Lower Bolton is usually placid before the sun comes up. Get your boat in there by 4 a.m and you're probably guaranteed at least six hours of reasonably calm fishing (and variable FOG.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Fishing Tournaments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: