CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Naugatuck river Campville 11/14/13 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avidangler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Naugatuck river Campville 11/14/13 Reply with quote

Went to the Campville section of the Naugatuck today.I made the worthwhile walk to the pool that i figured would be holding salmon since the water level was very low.When i reached it i noticed a few big salmon cruising the pool. I decided to bypass the pool and start in the one just above it.I started by tossing a large Maynard Marvel at the tail end of the pool.On my 2nd cast i noticed a bulging wake behind it as it swung through the current.I made another cast just up river from where i saw it and WHAM!I hooked a large salmon.It ran about 6 feet up river,made a jump and spit my fly.The salmon looked to be in the mid to upper 20 inch range.I made a few more casts but,the action ended and i moved down river to the pool i bypassed.

I started at the head of the pool and began working the current into the calmer section of the pool.After about 30 minutes without a hit or follower i moved across to the other side and fished off a sandbar there.5 casts in and i had a salmon following about 2-4 inches behind it.He was curious but,didn't want to hit. I switched to a small Mickey finn....same thing happened...follow but no hit.I switched to a size 10 Murray....5-6 casts and then a big salmon came up...looked at it,tried to hit it and missed.I took a few more casts and 2 salmon followed but didn't hit. I decided to rest my arms for a bit so i took out my telescopic spinning rod and tied on a small gold Al's Goldfish.On the first cast i had 2 large salmon chasing it but turned as it neared shore.3 casts later another salmon came up behind it,swiped at it but missed.A few more casts and another,swipe and miss.I continued casting the goldfish seeing it was getting their attention.I started letting it sink a bit before i started reeling. 2 casts later i see a salmon coming after it.I paused for a second and WHAM! I hooked it! It took off down the pool shaking it's head.Then turned and started going up the pool.It then made a jump trying to shake the lure.It went back down deep and across the pool.It went up the pool again.....back down it and continued to do so for about 5 minutes.Finally it was getting tired so i got my net ready as it neared me.As soon as it saw the net it made another final run up the pool,shaking it's head.I was able to turn it and guide it into shallow water where i finally netted it. It was one of the new releases.About 6-8 lbs measuring 29 inches.I took a couple quick pictures then started reviving it.

It took just as long to revive as it did to land but,it swam off to battle another day.

I took a 10 minute break then continued with the goldfish.About 20 minutes went by before a huge fat salmon that had to be in the upper 30 inch range came out of nowhere.it was like a shark coming across the top of the water.It made a big splash as it hit my lure but,didn't hook itself. That was that! The pool died down. I made my way down river and saw a couple more salmon sitting in the tails of some pools but,they didn't want to hit my lure or flies.As i neared my truck i tried one more pool.I saw a fat monster sitting in the shallows but he didn't want the lure either and only followed my fly within a couple inches a few times.I decided to call it a good day and headed home. REMINDER......YOU CANNOT KEEP RIVER SALMON UNTIL DECEMBER 1 ST.......When i got to my truck i spoke with a gentleman who mentioned he saw some anglers poaching salmon last week.......He reported them to the DEEP.I WILL DO THE SAME IF I SEE YOU POACHING THEM AS WELL!

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
FishOn860

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice man thats a beautiful fish. I just started fishing for trout and salmon a few weeks ago I been meaning to hit the Naugatuck. Do you ever catch any trout in there?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishOn860 wrote:
Nice man thats a beautiful fish. I just started fishing for trout and salmon a few weeks ago I been meaning to hit the Naugatuck. Do you ever catch any trout in there?

Thank you.i went last Thursday and hooked another big one that jumped and spit the fly.I ended up catching a small brown trout instead that day.Spring is usually very good for trout there.But,in the fall and winter i target salmon.The flies are a bit larger and are made to favor salmon.There are trout there right now and using nymphs or small spinners and spoons will catch them.I have been strickly using atlantic salmon flies like bombers,hairwigs,bunny leaches and tube flies.Last week i was using a large nymph pattern and a trout grabbed it even though i was using a size 2 hook.
So,simply put.YES INDEED there are browns and rainbows in there.Near the southern parts you'll find smallmouth bass,carp and in the derby section schoolie stripers and occasionally they get pike that work their way up from the Housatonic river system.

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
FishOn860

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a small spinning setup I use for trout, is there any small lures I can use on that to target the salmon or are they only biting flies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishOn860 wrote:
I only have a small spinning setup I use for trout, is there any small lures I can use on that to target the salmon or are they only biting flies.

Mepps spinners size 1
Blue fox spinners size 1
Pheobe's 1/8 - 1/4
Kastmaster's 1/8 - 1/4
Al's goldfish 1/8 - 1/4
Bouyant's 1/6 -1/4
Roughrider's 1/5
Mooselook's 2 incch
Little cleo's 1/6
Krocodile's 1-2 inch
Daredevlle spinnie 1/4
Rapala xrap size 4
Yo-Zuri pinns minnow 2 inch

Those should put you on salmon and trout.
River fishing for trout/salmon is restricted to salmon regulations during salmon season.Catch and release until December 1st.Then 1 salmon a day until March 31st.
April 1 to opening day catch and release again.Then opening day to the last day in September is 1 a day again.
lake regulations follow the seasons and methods for the trout in that body of water.

(River regulations)Single free-swinging hook.No weight may be added to the line(to prevent snagging)
No bait fishing of ANY kind.

FishOn860

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I appreciate it. Im the biggst catch and release guy youll meet. So you can only use single hook lures in the whole river?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FishOn860 wrote:
Thanks I appreciate it. Im the biggst catch and release guy youll meet. So you can only use single hook lures in the whole river?

In the 2 BROODSTOCK SALMON sections of the naugatuck where they stock them YESIn the other sections of the river ONLY IF YOU ARE "TARGETING"SALMON.Which means for example....if you are fishing just below the Thomaston dam you can use treble hooks but if you catch a salmon then you have to let it go.OR. Derby for schoolie stripers....using a swimmer with 2 treble hooks or soft plastic on a jig head and catch a salmon. ...you have to let it go.Since the salmon will be dropping down the river through February and March They will be anywhere in the river.Using a single hook in the NON-BROODSTOCK AREAS will come in handy even if your trout fishing and accidentally catch a salmon.KEY WORD IS TARGETING.
PECo (aka Phil) had the same question last year.he fishes near the mouth of the naugatuck and in the Housatonic river for schoolies and was told by the DEEP that he only needed single free swinging hooks if he was specifically "targeting"salmon.
Seems a bit confusing but using a single hook during salmon season makes it much simpler to obey the regulations ...not to mention unhook and release quickly.I read that you can even take a slug-go or hogy....thread a line through it from head to tail...put a split ring and single hook at the tail end makes you legal for salmon even if you are targeting schoolie stripers.
Hope this all helps.feel free to ask about anything else you have questions about.

bassLikeMe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going take all the salmon i can, u aint catchin me
FishOn860

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if i was to target trout with lures with treble hooks what part of the river can I fish im still a little confused.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any section that is NOT a BROODSTOCK SALMON AREA (CAMPVILLE SECTION AND BEACON FALLS SECTIONS ) Those are the salmon areas restricted to single hook usage .Everywhere else you can use treble hooks.But like i mentioned If you catch a salmon in other sections on a treble hook then LEGALLY you. are supposed to let it go.

Unfortunately there are LOOSER FISHERMAN like basslikeme.That feel differently. Confused

Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report and thanks for the info. I've never gotten into river fishing and never went after trout or salmon or even stripers but I want to give it a try. Would you be able to give me some good shore casting spots along the Naugy or Housy that would be good starting points? I live in Torrington. Also, is there a one-stop resource or web link that has all this info. I'd rather research it than bother you with questions. Thanks in advance!
avidangler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent scorpio.

FishOn860

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont have to worry about me I have never kept a fish in my life and dont plan on it unless I find myself stranded on a island. So will there be signs that let me know where exactly the Salmon areas are? I have never been there before. and I was also wondering where there are some parking spots in the TMA section. Thanks man I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avidangler wrote:
Any section that is NOT a BROODSTOCK SALMON AREA (CAMPVILLE SECTION AND BEACON FALLS SECTIONS ) Those are the salmon areas restricted to single hook usage .Everywhere else you can use treble hooks.But like i mentioned If you catch a salmon in other sections on a treble hook then LEGALLY you. are supposed to let it go.

Unfortunately there are LOOSER FISHERMAN like basslikeme.That feel differently. Confused

Sorry guys, not to topic but this is for AvidAngler to enjoy!
http://www.chron.com/news/article/Texas-fisherman-s-photo-of-enormous-red-drum-goes-4998568.php
I'm in favor of posting up such pictures, along with the fines received, at the places they caught the fish. The guy in this story got over $5K.

Back on topic, maybe I'll see one or two of you out on the Naugy our Housy, as I plan to give it a go over Thanksgiving. Never fished the Atlantic Salmon up there.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
avidangler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
avidangler wrote:

Sorry guys, not to topic but this is for AvidAngler to enjoy!
http://www.chron.com/news/article/Texas-fisherman-s-photo-of-enormous-red-drum-goes-4998568.php
I'm in favor of posting up such pictures, along with the fines received, at the places they caught the fish. The guy in this story got over $5K.

Back on topic, maybe I'll see one or two of you out on the Naugy our Housy, as I plan to give it a go over Thanksgiving. Never fished the Atlantic Salmon up there.

Love it Brian! Thanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: