CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Naugtauck Smallies New PB **PIC**
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Naugtauck Smallies New PB **PIC** Reply with quote

Wednesday member mikeyinstfd (Mike) and I hit the Naugy starting at the Seymour Rapids around 10:30.

Mike tried throwing a number of lures with his 6 footer and 10 pound mono but didn't have much luck. He had a number of followers and swipes and landed 1 smallie.

I was nailing the smallies with a pearl grey shiner FLR-6 and glass minnow HJ-6. Special retrieve was a nice jerk every full second after getting the lure down a foot or so. The smallies would nail it on the quick pause. Total was at least 10 with 1 smallie being 11" just under a pound. Also landed a few redbreasts and bluegills, with 1 redbreast being a 7.5" 8 ounce fish, which is a rare size for redbreast here in CT.

Later while we still had time, we headed down to the projects in Ansonia. Mike was off to a good start with a Storm Thunderstick Jr. He was getting lots of swipes and lost 2 smallies. He eventually landed 2 and got more hits and followers.

I landed 2 smallies and a redbreast with the HJ-6 before losing the lure. Switched over to the FLR-6 and hit a number of spots. During our last 10 to 15 minutes, I went to cast the FLR-6, and right as it hit the water I saw a smallie come out and grab it. I set the hook and this fish was pulling! Landed a new personal best 18 inch 3 pound smallmouth! Landed 2 other smallies with 1 being a 1 1/2 pounder.

Hit the road just after 2pm

New personal best 18" perfect 3 pound smallmouth on Rapala Flat Rap FLR-6 Pearl Grey Shiner on the Naugy
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice smallie! I been hitting them consistently with anything I'm running right down along the bottom bouncing off rocks as they're keying so much on crayfish. The Rebel Crawfish and Cleo type lures have been most effective, along with soft plastic crawfish bounced on jigs.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised to not get much attention on spinners, and also how a steady retrieve with the FLR-6 didn't get much attention either. It was something about the jerk and pause that had the smallies going, and they'd nail it on the quick pause.
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually once or twice a year i kayak down from naugatuck and catch pounders so much i get bored. usually pull out in seymour. its a long haul.. normally the biggest we see is a couple pounds in holes that are here and there. thats a really nice one!!!

its to bad the river is to low and not enough rain..... that and quabbin is keeping me away

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught this nice Smallmouth Bass at the Seymour Falls on the Naugy. A lot of smallmouth action there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: