CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Need help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beef78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Need help Reply with quote

Hello, all! I'm relatively new to ct. Been stationed in groton since last July. I have been doing mostly salt water fishing with a little small pond and stream mixed in. I fish mostly from my kayak. I would like to get into some lake trout fishing but I'm having trouble finding a lake deep enough close to me to hold trout year round. Can anyone recommend a place, preferably in eastern ct where can find lake trout? Preferably with kayak access? Thanks all! PMs are welcome.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No lake trout stocked in CT
Beef78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Thanks, though.
stainless51

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not true, what about all of the Seeforellen they stocked? The DEEP stocked them in a handful of lakes if I am not mistaken. West Hill, Mashapaug, Highland, East Twin right?
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there are lakes that hold trout, there are none that hold lake trout. That said, I'm not sure what if anything fishes well in the south east of the state this time of year. Maybe check out a local TU meeting. http://www.cttrout.org/localchapters.html
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
stainless51

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why arent Seeforellen considered lake trout?
stainless51

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family is from Bavaria right on the Austrian border. My relatives fished for them there in the area in the mountain lakes. Every time i have been there i order it off of the menu lol. How is it a lake trout in Europe but not here? It literally means lake trout in German. They dont even refer to it as a brown trout over there.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good question Stainless51.

Short Answer - We have plenty of lakes stocked with trout in CT which are listed the Anglers Guide. I'm sure in many places "lake trout" is used to describe just about any trout living in a lake. Makes sense.

Longer Answer - A brown trout, such as the Seeforellen strain, is a salmonid like rainbows, etc. What is referred to as a Lake Trout/Laker in the Northern US and Canada is actually a char. My son Danny caught the small one Sunday on Lake Ontario. They can get a lot bigger than any true trout, the record being up around 100lbs, but fish over 25lbs. considered really good. If you google them, you will see some really big fish. You'll find them in NY, and lakes further up in NE, but none in CT. Whenever people talk about lake trout around here or further north, this is typically what they are referring to.

stainless51

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification! I know that the seeforellens near my aunts house in bavaria get over 40 lbs and some of the lakes are over 300 feet deep. Nice job by your son!

By the way how do you like your triumph? What hull design is that? Thats my dream.boat
stainless51

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though its a different species, hooking up with a seeforellen would be a memorable experience for sure.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the big browns. The best way to fish for them is to head north and out of state, though some are still lurking in CT waters. I love my Triumph Skiff. Right now they are not producing it. They're owned by Larson and the dealer I spoke with said they have cut back production models, though they may produce these again. My buddy recently bought the 21cc which he really likes. The skiff is a trade off between rivers/shallow bays etc. and some deep water locations. When it gets choppy in the LIS I have to throttle back or get beat to death, but that is true for any brand. You should see the dings and scratches I've put on the hull because I run places I wouldn't think of with a glass boat. Below are the beginning and end of season 1 reviews I wrote.

http://redneckangler.blogspot.com/2013/04/triumph-skiff-review-gemma-rose-ii.html

http://redneckangler.blogspot.com/2013/10/triumph-skiff-review-end-of-season-one.html
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stainless51 wrote:
My family is from Bavaria right on the Austrian border. My relatives fished for them there in the area in the mountain lakes. Every time i have been there i order it off of the menu lol. How is it a lake trout in Europe but not here? It literally means lake trout in German. They dont even refer to it as a brown trout over there.

Brown trout and seaforellen browns are native to Germany and surrounding areas of Europe. German settlers brought wild brown trout to the Eastern US, which are the wild browns we have in cooler rivers and streams. Same thing goes for common carp.
stainless51

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to turn this trout thread into a triumph boat discussion! My co worker had a 21 cc v hull triumph. It was impressive and it was a sad day when he sold it lol. Ive always wanted a 17 triumph to fish the river and the sound. My father owned whalers, carolina skiffs and other boats but im sold on the construction of a triumph.

Currently i have a 1969 starcraft 15.5 cc star trek v that used to be the lake congamond patrol boat lol but hopefully i can find a triumph in a few years.

Thanks for the boat report!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: