CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Need Tips and Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davoforty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Need Tips and Help Reply with quote

I have been fishing in multiple places, most notably Scoville Resevoir, Batterson and the Farmington River. I have tried many different approaches to catching bass/trout. I tried wacky rigging senkos (slowly letting it drop), texas riggin (slowly twitching it on the bottom), top water poppers, minnow twitching, and night crawlers/trout worms and also lipless cranks. I cannot seem to catch alot of fish if any at all. I am fishing from the shore and in alot of areas where bass should be. I've read alot of places where bass might be, such as; pads, weeds, drop offs but when I go I don't catch fish with all of the techniques I have been using.

My PB is 2.7 lbs this year but the fish have come few and far between. I seem like I am having no luck and am about to hang up the pole for the season. I fish from the shore and hope to accquire a boat soon but does anyone have any tips or techniques that can help me out on these waters? Anything will be appreciated, I have been fishing the Farmington River under the green Unionviles Bridge, does anyone have or know of any good spots?

Thanks for all the help, fishing has been really tough for me this season for bass and trout. I cant seem to land any keepers. I live around the Bristol area and any help for areas or techinques would be greately appreciated. Like I said I have tried many rigging techiques and different baits but nothing is seeming to work. Thanks for all your feedback.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the obvious tip you know already: Get a boat. Any boat. If I had one to spare, I'd give it to you. I live in SW Avon, just north of Unionville, so I know the areas you've been fishing. Have you tried the Farmington River downstream from the green trestle bridge in Unionville? Try the Sandy Beach on this map, which is accessible from Wannowmassa Lane:

Don't forget to put on some mosquito repellant. The mosquitos there are ferocious.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with PECo. Get a boat. Even a little kayak or canoe will work. Right now, you can fish about 10% of the water. If you get a boat, or pretty much anything you can fish out of, you will be able to fish 100% of the water! You are right on with the lure tactics, so once you get something to fish out of, I think you will be catching more fish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know from experience that fishing large bodies of water from shore is often times unproductive. It is tough to get to the spots where the fish are because usually you are hiking through brush and cover to get to a good spot. My suggestion would be to try and fish some ponds and smaller bodies of water where it is easier to cover a good part of the water.

I have always had the best luck fishing the Farmington River from shore up in the Riverton area but i'm sure there are fish near you as well. Sometimes you just have to hike to get to them. If the fish aren't where you are throwing your bait/lures you need to move to another spot. A pair of waders would help you cover more area of the river. Keep your eye out for used kayaks and canoes on Craigslist. Good Luck!!
Fishface

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2lb7 is nothing to laugh at, that a quailty fish. Don't hang up the poles. just have to put the work in. you will get rewarded.
davoforty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the feedback. I have been fishing about 2-3 times a week for over 4 hours each time and these were my results, I have been putting in my time on the water with maybe catching a fish each time I go.

Also, I can not afford a boat or kayak right now, and I wouldn't know how to tow it. I am a college student and have been fishing for my whole life. Thankfully, this is my last semester and then when I get a job I can afford one so fishing from the shore is the only thing I can do right now.

Scoville has some nice spots from the shore but still not very much luck, anyone got any good ideas for these places I mentioned? How about any nice spots near the Unionville bridge for the Farmington River?
davoforty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECO, I have also tried all along the shore and sandy beach on the Farmington with very little success. I actually hit it hup maybe 3-4 times for about 5 hours each and noting hit!! Not even a bite! I also fished on the Burlington side and walked all along the river with very little success. I was standing in 2-3 ft. of water and it looked like it was faily deep in some of those areas. I don't know what else to do! I'm looking for a few spots near me and can't find much.
Flipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to mention a few things not talked about yet.
What times of the day are you fishing? Being limited to areas that are only shore accessible puts you at a disadvantage especially if you are on a large body of water. One thing you can do to better your chances are fishing at the time when most fish are active. This would be from sun up to about 9am and from about 6pm to sunset.
Another idea is to use live bait - especially shinners/minnows. Even when a fish is not actively feeding I think it's hard for them to resist such an easy meal. While I do have a boat, I am very limited in time, so I fish alot of live bait. Throwing lures can be fun once in a while, but I'd rather give myself the best possible chance of catching something during the little time I do have.
If you try these 2 things I think you will probably have more success.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dav,

Above is all very good advice. Keep in mind you can fish with others on their boat.

I found the best way to get better is to learn from others while fishing with them.

As for a boat, life changes when you have a boat.

Feel free to contact me when your ready. www.cttwintrollerboats.com I have financing. Smile

Ron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for all the helps and tips. I have been fishing in the early morning, later afternoon and at night recently. Boat situation, still the same but hopefully soon I will figure something out.
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when u fish at night, throw anything black out there, i personally have been having good luck on black jitterbugs,poppers, and buzzbaits. I also heard guys nailing fish at night with black senkos. Hard work is always rewarded Very Happy good luck brother
davoforty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some success with a popper lately, still getting MAYBE a fish a day. Some days I will catch a few fish then I will go a couple days without catching any fish. Real let down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: