CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: New(ish) and looking for advice to river boating and fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loki008

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: New(ish) and looking for advice to river boating and fishing Reply with quote

Good Morning.

Last fall I picked up a 16' trihull that I would like to use mostly on the CT river. I am fairly new to this.

A bit of background to myself. I have had my Safe Boaters Cert since highschool (1997) and owned a boat around that time but its been a while (probably 10 years) since I've been on the water with any regularity on anything other than a kayak. I also have a few kayaks and enjoy pond fishing for SMB and LMB.

I figured I would introduce myself and get any advice, tips or suggestions to the upper CT river. I am currently in Enfield. Previously I lived in Old Lyme and would stick mostly to Old Saybrook to Middletown and didnt use the boat for fishing.

It is my understanding that the Enfield boat launch was hit or miss on launching due to the water levels last season. Is this still true? Also I am VERY rusty with the trailer and I have not launched this boat yet since i purchased it in the fall. Are there any recommended launches to practice on that are more user friendly and recommended times where I can get it down without mucking up everyone else at the launch.

Also I would love any tips for fishing the CT River and what to expect. I know I have missed the Strippers but am curious what I can expect over the summer?

Thanks
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use the thompsonville boat launch, it's not that busy and not steep at all. It would be a good place to launch. Water level is ok was there on Monday night.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
loki008

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anointed130 wrote:
Did you use the thompsonville boat launch, it's not that busy and not steep at all. It would be a good place to launch. Water level is ok was there on Monday night.

I haven't launched anywhere yet. I did some work to the boat over the winter and am currently having the outboard serviced. I expect to have it back next weekend and am looking forward to getting out on it.

I'll keep thomphonville in mind for practicing. Thanks
loki008

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question I had about this portion of the CT river is how navigable it is north to Springfield. My SO has expressed interest of watching the Springfield fireworks from the boat if at all possible this year (and if increases her interest in the boat I am all for it)
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki008 wrote:
Another question I had about this portion of the CT river is how navigable it is north to Springfield. My SO has expressed interest of watching the Springfield fireworks from the boat if at all possible this year (and if increases her interest in the boat I am all for it)

Hi,

Go to:
www.ctrivermaps.com
Only maps that show the Ct. river depth maps from Hartford to Bellows Fall, Vt.

SeaDog1
loki008

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog1 wrote:
loki008 wrote:

Hi,

Go to:
www.ctrivermaps.com
Only maps that show the Ct. river depth maps from Hartford to Bellows Fall, Vt.

SeaDog1

Thanks. I was getting a bit confused as to why the DEEP only had old saybrook to Hartford and online VT north seems to be open to the public but there didn't seem to be anything in between.

I see there is a book, The Connecticut River Boating Guide 3rd ed. Out there as well. Is this worth picking up? I've seen hit or miss reviews. The info seems to be getting dated and it's geared towards paddlers are what some of the reviews are saying.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loki008 wrote:
I was getting a bit confused as to why the DEEP only had old saybrook to Hartford and online VT north seems to be open to the public but there didn't seem to be anything in between.

My understanding is that the USCG doesn't consider the Connecticut River to be navigable upriver from Hartford.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Correct!
The Federal navigable water channel for the Connecticut river actually extends as far as Windsor Lock.

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: