CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: New Kayak purchase
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishfinder1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: New Kayak purchase Reply with quote

Hello all. I was wondering if the community could provide me with some information. I am interested in purchasing a Kayak for this up coming spring. I was wondering if you could provide some purchasing information that I could go by. Specially what should I be looking for in a Kayak? I do most of my fishing in ponds or lakes so I assume I dont need a very large kayak. What brands should I be looking into and are there any reasonably priced kayaks I should look into? looking to spend at most about 450$. The other great debate I've come across is a sit on top or sit in Kayak. What do you all think? Any info will be helpful thanks!
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has spent an inordinate amount of time researching this subject, here goes my humble opinion.

The thing you should ask yourself is whether or not you will want to take it into deeper water or on long floats. If you answer yes to this, you should think about going with a 12ft or longer model. If you are certain you are sticking to smaller lakes and ponds, a 10 ft will be just fine.

Regardless, some very popular models include something like an Old Town Vapor, Field and Stream or Fusion Beach. Several members of this forum have one or more of those.

Bass Pro also offers some great models on their store brand 'Ascent".

Regarding sit in or sit on top: There are distinct advantages to both. Sit in kayaks will give you less exposure to the wind and elements, but generally you will have less space for gear. However, sit in's usually come with bow and/or stern storage areas if you want to put a crate in the stern or a clothes bag in the front. Take a look at pictures of Peco's kayak in the search forum. His is a great example of fabricating something from scratch to suit his fishing preferences.

Sit on top style kayaks allow for a bit more freedom of movement, and more cargo space. However, you are exposed to the elements a little more and are more susceptible to being blown around a bit more.

One of the more common statements you will hear from people is "demo before you buy". This is sometimes available, but lets be honest, ost of the time we just go plunk down our money on what we feel will be right (I know I do this!)

Therefore, do you research on this and other forums and listen carefully to the advice people give you. Learn from other's experiences and mistakes and most of all, always be safe.

PM me with any more info you may need
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, whats up with the name!!!!! LOL

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
limeymotors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fish from a sit-in and love it. I don't have much time fishing from a sit-on(I do own one). sit-on are usaly heavy and can be more expencive. any questions just ask. -Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Hey, whats up with the name!!!!! LOL

that's the real fishfinder #1 !!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of sit inside kayaks that you'd be welcome to try out before deciding what to buy or even whether to buy at all. I have a Hurricane Santee 116 Sport and a Future Beach Trophy 126 DLX. Send me a PM and we could arrange something after the smaller waters open up.

And what's up with the name?!?! Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change your name to kayakfinder... Shocked

I own a sit inside kayak. I have the Field & Stream Eagle Run 12. I love it! Dick's usually has a spring kayak sale every year. Keep an eye on their sale flyer. I think they usually do it in early May. You can get some great deals. Here's a couple pics of mine...

keith3397

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Kayak purchase Reply with quote

I bought a sit in kayak last year and it was a great investment. It's and old town trip 10 angler deluxe and the reason i bought this model is because its very comfortable, the opening of the kayak is long (it ends around my shins and ankles, which is good so when i use a spin reel the bail does not smack the side of the boat), the kayak is very roomy, it has two rod pole holders behind you, a nice big storage spot behind you, and the top of it is high above your legs. What i suggest is just ask the employees to take the kayak down your looking at so you can hop in it and see if its comfortable and easy to get in and out of. I would post picture but i don't know ho to yet. So i hope this helps. Just buy something you'll feel comfortable in.
Marky2002S

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure this wont be helpful but I have both a sit in and sit on that I alternate depending on my mood or the type of water im on. They both have their place. The sit inside proves useful on tight rivers and when im lazy and want to lift less.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marky2002S wrote:
Im sure this wont be helpful but I have both a sit in and sit on that I alternate depending on my mood or the type of water im on. They both have their place. The sit inside proves useful on tight rivers and when im lazy and want to lift less.

That's a good point. Sit inside kayaks tend to weigh less than sit on top kayaks. Including my two Hobies, I still own four kayaks. The one I use the most is the lightest and easiest to throw in my Jeep and go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: