CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » New Member Section
Viewing Topic: New Member, Bethlehem, CT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtd350

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: New Member, Bethlehem, CT Reply with quote

Hello all. I just registered on this forum today. I look forward to looking around and do some learning. I used to fish quite a bit, then got out of it for a while now lately have gotten the bug again. I look forward to meeting new people.

Thanks.

DAN
bdiggy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan. Welcome aboard! Being a Bethlehem resident, do you know anything about what they're doing to Long Meadow Pond? We fished there last week with not much success, and noticed the lack of lilly pads in the back and the sudden addition of rock piles? Only boated 5 fish in 3 hours, where a normal trip there would be over 20. Lots of changes there i'm not really happy with.
dtd350

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bdiggy, yeah I was there last Sunday as well and I didn't catch too much either. Just a couple Sunnies. I was only fishing from shore however. I didn't feel like putting the canoe in. My girlfriend and I had already been to Mt. Tom and Bantam river with not too much for results and just didn't have the energy to unload and load the canoe again.

I know they have done quite a bit of work to that lake from state grant money in the recent past. I remember that lake really being pretty good for fishing too. I used to fish there years ago when I was fishing more and used to catch some pretty nice stuff out of there. I used to be able to get some pretty nice smallies out of the lily pads over by the spillway. The bass there used to love Jitterbugs. I know they draw that lake down every fall and winter trying to kill the vegetation off. I don't think it's working, judging by what I was pulling back using my Mepp's Syclops and it has really seemed to hurt the fish population in the lake apparently.

The only good places left to fish at that lake that I know of are the lily pads down by Bellamy Lane and around back of the island you can get some good stuff over there but really the population of fish in that lake is really low right now. They really need to do some stocking in there or something. It's pretty rough in there.
bdiggy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last 3 seasons we have gotten 7 largemouth over 5 lbs. They did some weed kill last year and this year, and again, dropped some stone, so I don't know what to think now. The weeds in the middle out towards the back last year were a gold mine! Now, they don't exist.
dtd350

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like every summer they have a problem there with brown algae. Not sure what that means. I am not that versed in that stuff. You are correct, out back of that lake can be a gold mine. It isn't terribly deep out there. There used to be a road back there at one time. Seriously, I don't think that lake is too much more than 10-12' in the deepest part. I think we are going to Squantz this Sunday. We want to bag us some Walleye! We have been trying the past two weeks to get Walleye out of Mt. Tom (according to the state website they are stocking it with Walleye) with no luck at all. I have tried deep with lures and worms, we tried shallow stuff and surface baits with no success. Let's hope we get something this weekend. Last Sunday I got a Smallmouth bass out of Mt. Tom, 3 Perch and a Sunfish out of Bantam River, and 2 Sunfish out of Long Meadow...not much to write home about so lets hope for better luck next Sunday at Squantz. I have heard that is the place to fish for Walleye! Keep in touch bdiggy and maybe I'll see you out on the water!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> New Member Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: