CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: New rod and reel Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BM3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: New rod and reel Reply with quote

Hey guys looking for some opinions.looking on purchasing a new baitcaster and rod to match.planning on using mostly in thick cover flipping frogs and what not.figuring on a medium heavy rod not sure on brand not really a factor.looking for quality but also a budget knowing u get what u pay for not looking for walmart specials either haha.so just looking for some feedback if u got info would like to hear your opinion thanks.
MarkO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimano reels matched up with a broom stick. Did I mention Shimano reels?
BM3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok brand a good start my next question.what u think would be a good ratio for that? Like I said it be for frogs and heavy cover.I wanna check out the rod.I get my balls busted cuz I'm a berkley rod guy.but I tell you for the money it's a damn good rod.the thing with them is they seem a little stiffer then how they lable them.But if u got input on ratio love to hear it thanks.
MarkO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. If you are going into the hand to hand combat mode of heavy vegation fishing or any cover for that matter, I would go with a 7:1 ratio on the reel. This will give you the ability to get them up and out of the cover before they can bury themselves in deep. And aleviate a long narative of swears coming from your mouth, lol.

St. Croix baitcasting rods, 6' 6" up to 7"2", medium heavy to heavy. I don't have an exact model, just usually go to BPS or Cabelas and handle a bunch to see what feels good in my hands.

By the way, all of my spinning rods are Berkley Lighting Rods in different lengths and actions. Can't beat them for the $29 to $36 price range. I have out fished and been out fished by much pricier fishing rods...who knows?

Hope this helps.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recommendation of Shimano as a brand, although I use spinning reels. I tried a couple of Curados last year, but didn't have the patience to learn to use them. Regarding retrieve rates, I think that it's more important to check out the amount of line retrieved per revolution of the handle than the ratio. A bigger spool makes a difference.

I've also found Shimano rods to be more durable than St. Croix rods, although as I said I use spinning rods. I usually bring along two St. Croix Mojo Bass rods and two Shimano Clarus rods. They're all good for topwater frogging. But for flipping heavy cover, not so much. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well gotta throw my 2 cents worth in here. Not a big Shimano fan, always used Abu, always dependable, affordable, and damn durable. BPS and Cabelas are a great place to go. You can spend a lot on Abu, or a little. I believe for the $, go with Abu. Sorry Phil.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm not so personally invested in my opinion that yours bothers me, John. Wink I tried an Abu Garcia spinning reel, once, albeit an inexpensive Cardinal 300i, and my line kept getting snagged in the bail mechanism. Weird, I know, but it put me off of the brand. On the other hand, I've found the Shimano Sahara spinning reel to be just as good as the more expensive Stradic.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Shimano my for many years, I have 2 of the spirexs' now with ugly sticks!! Works for me!!!!
hila2006

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only kidding on the Shimano thing Phil. The wifes parents are pretty big Shimano fans as well. I think it's best to hit the store and see what fits best for you in general.
BM3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys it all sounds real good.next weekend gonna try to make my way to BPS and actually look at the reels. I have had a couple of Abu and I've never had good luck with any of them.so shimno looks like the way I'm gonna head.and as far as a rod it's still up in the air think I'm just gonna try a few in the store and figure out what feels the best.Thanks for all the info guys I actually have Penn reels on all my spinning rods and I love them they have been my favorite reel when I fished in the ocean but as far as there smaller stuff they can't compare. Thanks again for the info
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimano spiining, abu casting

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two Citicas (last years model 201E) while they have performed well, I think there are def some corners cut. One of the points on my star drag broke off for no good reason. The star is plastic. Just my opinion but I don't think anything <$200 is made with quality parts nowadays. I also have A cheaper Daiwa reel that feels like its much more durable and a couple Quantum reels that I'm satisfied with so far but I havent owned them for years yet so I'm sure time will tell. I'm thinking about getting an American made Ardent reel. Anyone have any experience with Ardent reels?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing about the Ardent reels Slim. I just haven't tried one yet either. I do have a nice Quantum reel that I haven't had any problems with. I also like the Cabela's prodigy reels (made by Daiwa). Have had them for a few years with no issues. I also like the Quantum rods I have been using over the last couple of years.
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pmed you BM3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on money... If you're looking to spend more money the answer to this question is far different than if you're only looking to spent 40-50 a reel.

I have $200+ reels that I pay to be factory restored after a certain amount of time and I have 40-50$ reels that I used until they can be thrown away. Most of the time the quality of the more expensive reels are not that far off of each other and it will come down to a personal preference of drag and feel for you. Read up on the reviews of the reels and see what people's opinions are on them and it will help you decide which set up works best for your style of fishing

Do the same with the rod selection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: