CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » New Member Section
Viewing Topic: New to CT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aesrock

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: New to CT Reply with quote

how's it going fellas? Just moved to CT from SoCal this past October. I fished on a regular basis back home and stumbled across this site on
google. Anyway, I'm mainly an LMB fisherman and I'm familiar with all presentations from finesse to the big swimbaits, I realize its still pretty cold for bass fishing out there but its driving me crazy seeing all the water around here and not being able to get out and fish.

Anyway, I just started re-upping my aresenal and I'm looking to get with other CT anglers this spring that are willing to show a new guy around. I consider myself a decent angler and I have alot of information as far as west coast techniques go that I am happy to share, though I'm not sure how effective they'll be out here. I also plan on doing alot of kayak fishing out here when
it warms up, so it'd be cool hook up with anyone into the kayak fishing as well. I'm a catch and release guy too, basically just looking to meet other anglers that can show me what's up out here. I live in the valley and work in Fairfield, hope to wet a line with some of you bass fisherman sometime. Thanks!
SenkoBandit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the site aesrock.I myself like largies but, don't mind a smallie.On this site you will find many helpful people.Don't be afraid to ask questions.Alot of good guys on this site.I enjoy fishing the tournies you get to put names with faces and have a blast.Well enjoy the site and hope to see you on the water.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site and to CT!! You will find plenty of guys to go out fishing with here!
jlaz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site aesrock.
I grew up in the valley. I live in Wallingford now, but when the weather warms up, I'd be up for showing you some places in your area to fish.

Joe
aesrock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome guys.

jlaz wrote:
Welcome to the site aesrock.
I grew up in the valley. I live in Wallingford now, but when the weather warms up, I'd be up for showing you some places in your area to fish.

Joe

Appreciate it Joe, definitely have to get out once it warms up. I'm going to brave the cold and wing it this Sunday and hit a few fishy looking river & pond spots in my neighborhood with a crankbait and see if I can get anything to go.

-Eddie
cmorjoe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Southern California to CT.? Reply with quote

My wife had a early education convention in Anaheim a few years back; in fact we stayed in a motel across the street from Disney Land. Really loved San Diego. Welcome to the area but just wondering why anyone would move from there to here usually its the other way around I've lived here all my life (60 years) just thinking you must have had a GOOD reason to leave there and come here. Did you catch any of those monster bass I see they catch out there ? GOOD FISHING CMORJOE
aesrock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Southern California to CT.? Reply with quote

cmorjoe wrote:
My wife had a early education convention in Anaheim a few years back; in fact we stayed in a motel across the street from Disney Land. Really loved San Diego. Welcome to the area but just wondering why anyone would move from there to here usually its the other way around I've lived here all my life (60 years) just thinking you must have had a GOOD reason to leave there and come here. Did you catch any of those monster bass I see they catch out there ? GOOD FISHING CMORJOE

Hahaha! Yeah, I get alot of that out here, I'm beginning to wonder myself! Actually here to help with a family business, I plan on getting back to SoCal hopefully within the next 3-5 years. As far as the monster bass go, my personal best is the 7 lb. 15 oz. largemouth in my avatar out of Diamond Valley Lake. I've got countless 6+ fish in the 4 so odd years i've been fishing, but haven't broken the double digit mark yet. Seen a 10+ landed on 4 occasions all on swimbaits, but I haven't gotten that lucky myself.

I'm stoked to be out here for the smallies & striper though, haven't caught either of those species over 3 lbs. in Cali, I'm hoping some of you guys could help me out with that- I float tubed a SoCal mountain resevoir called Lake Arrowhead alot specifically for smallmouth, and even though they don't get that big in the west- I love how much more fight they put up then largemouth. Smallies are also pretty rare where i'm from because of the warm water. For me personally a 5+ smallmouth would mean just as much as a double digit largemouth- I think my shot at a pig smallie is alot better in CT.

I love San Diego too, I fished the bays for spotties and la jolla for calico alot, and I actually grew up in Anaheim. Can't say I wouldn't rather be back home, but hopefully I can get into some good fishing and make the best of it out here!
Pappy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to CT.

I live in Derby and fish Lake Housatonic a lot because it's close (not because the fishing is all that great). Generally fish a number of the lakes on the west side of the state and occassionally some on the east. I like Highland the best and Candlewood. I have a 17' Javlin. Be happy to have you out on the boat and help you get acquainted with some of our lakes here in CT.

As soon as the water opens on Lake Housatonic which is right around the first Saturday of April, I'll be on it. It's usually ice free by then and one of the first lakes to open.

Walt
shortypowers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard and welcome to CT.

I'd be interested to discuss kayak fishing with you some more. I hadn't fished for quite awhile until last year and had been doing most of my fishing out of a boat.

I acquired a kayak late last year and enjoyed the few trips I made in it. I liked the flexibility in smaller bodies of water. I've picked up some goodies over the winter to help better outfit the kayak, like a rod holder and a fish finder, but that's the extent of it.

What do you have for a kayak?
aesrock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortypowers wrote:
Welcome aboard and welcome to CT.

I'd be interested to discuss kayak fishing with you some more. I hadn't fished for quite awhile until last year and had been doing most of my fishing out of a boat.

I acquired a kayak late last year and enjoyed the few trips I made in it. I liked the flexibility in smaller bodies of water. I've picked up some goodies over the winter to help better outfit the kayak, like a rod holder and a fish finder, but that's the extent of it.

What do you have for a kayak?

I sparatically fished in the plastic navy tournament circuit in San Diego with friends the last two summers, I had a Cobra fish n' dive then- it was my first kayak and I used it mainly for saltwater fishing. That yak was a great starter yak and worked especially well for me because i'm a big dude (6'-6", 280 lbs.) but I sold it last summer anticipating the move out here. This year i'm stepping it up, I'll be fishing out of a Hobie Outback.

I had a full on livewell in my last kayak, along with a ton of other modifications specifically for fishing. There's an awesome site you can check out that gives you the rundown on any mods you want, check out the articles and thier message boards and it should give you a ton of info: http://www.plasticnavy.com/

We'll have to hit some spots up in the yaks this year for sure, I'm really going to focus on freshwater bass this year but i'm planning on yakking the sound alot for big striper as well.
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site and CT aesrock. Plenty of fishing here to satisfy your appetite! Hope to see you out on the water.
Old Mud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME ABOARD AESROCK,

OK I have to ask you . are you from "Down Under" ??

Laughing

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> New Member Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: