CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: New to Kayak Fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: New to Kayak Fishing Reply with quote

Hi All,

Last few years have been a struggle (and tease) for Shore Fishing so I went out and got me a kayak. This one to be exact.

[img]http://store.lifetime.com/ImageEditor/90157-sport-fisher-kayak.jpg?ImageSize=Large[/img]

Pretty pumped about spring.

I'm looking for any tips/recommendations on yak spots for fishing (and pleasure cruising) Specifically in South CT region (but open to entire CT, we like to drive....).

Also it seems like I will be trolling A LOT. From the research I've done, close to shore 10-20' of water seems to be best spots. Just wondering what should I rig it with for Pike AND Carp. Trolling around with corn on the hook seems like not the best idea.....but what do I know.

I've been mostly Carp fishing but open to anything (would like to broaden my list this year). Would LOVE to catch some Pike! It's my goal for this year along with Stripper. Strippers seem plenty in Lower Housie, so this one seems more realistic of a goal....

I will be starting off simple on a small local pond. But would like to work my way up with the following list:
Housatonic River Meadows/Bird Sanctuary
Housatonic River Island
Housatonic River Kent above Bulls Head bridge (Pike fishing)
Housatonic River Indian Falls (Carp)
Kettletown State Park (Carp)
Lovers Leap State Park or Aggis Park (Pike/Carp)
Sqyarts Pond or Candlewood lake
New Haven Bottom of Westrock
Bantan River + Bantan Lake (Pike)
Mashapaug Lake and Bigelow Pond
West Hill Pond
Lake McDonough
Thimble Islands
Lake Winnemaug
Hopeville Pond state park (Pike)

Also wondering what month you guys usually begin to get out there on Yaks? Figured when temps are in 40s-50s?

Thanks to all in advance

Last edited by ChaoSki on Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't paddled all of those, but Bantam River is my favorite place to paddle in Connecticut. The one time my wife agreed to go kayaking with me, that's where I took her. It's a small, gently flowing river, but has a great variety of scenery and fish. There's a canoe launch on White's Wood Road. From there, you can paddle upriver through grassy flats to Little Pond or downriver through winding forest and scrub to Bantam Lake. I typically throw soft plastic topwater frogs, spinnerbaits or buzzbaits for largemouth bass, chain pickerel and northern pike. I also throw wacky-rigged Senkos as a follow-up for fish that miss the faster moving lures. On weekends, there can be a lot of kayak and canoe traffic, so I tend to go during the week.

I assume that you fish for carp with a fly. You should also check out Hamburg Cove off of the Connecticut River in Lyme. Most of the cove is shallow flats. At low tide during the spawn, carp will ram into your kayak in the swirling, murky water.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I haven't paddled all of those, but Bantam River is my favorite place to paddle in Connecticut. The one time my wife agreed to go kayaking with me, that's where I took her. It's a small, gently flowing river, but has a great variety of scenery and fish. There's a canoe launch on White's Wood Road. From there, you can paddle upriver through grassy flats to Little Pond or downriver through winding forest and scrub to Bantam Lake. I typically throw soft plastic topwater frogs, spinnerbaits or buzzbaits for largemouth bass, chain pickerel and northern pike. I also throw wacky-rigged Senkos as a follow-up for fish that miss the faster moving lures. On weekends, there can be a lot of kayak and canoe traffic, so I tend to go during the week.

Thanks for a quick reply.

Yep Bantan River (that specific launch site) is on my to go list (and top rated from what I gather). I will probably spend a day there so will head up north first then down to the Lake.

PECo wrote:
I assume that you fish for carp with a fly.

Nope, I actually use a baitcast rod but we have 2 spinning as well. Planning on taking all 3 Smile and trolling as many as possible (without getting tangled up of course).

PECo wrote:
You should also check out Hamburg Cove off of the Connecticut River in Lyme. Most of the cove is shallow flats. At low tide during the spawn, carp will ram into your kayak in the swirling, murky water.

Will check that out! looks great (looking at the map).

Looks like Lord Cove (Mack and Deep Creek) area right south of it looks like a great kayaking spot as well.

Thanks
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Kayak Fishing Reply with quote

ChaoSki wrote:
Strippers seem plenty in Lower Housie, so this one seems more realistic of a goal....

Bring your drinks with some great music playing and have yourself a ball as they swing their a$$ and show their boobs! Laughing
ChaoSki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: New to Kayak Fishing Reply with quote

You know what I meant

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: