CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Kayak Fishing
Viewing Topic: New to the forum , here's my first report 9/28/2014
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishndaze

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: New to the forum , here's my first report 9/28/2014 Reply with quote

Hey Guys , I'm new here so I figured I'd start off with my first post. Went out of oweneego in branford on Sunday on my fourth kayak trip of the year. Kayak hit the water at 7:45 and I headed to my first spot on the south point of the foot rocks where I usually see bluefish hitting bunker at the surface on an outgoing tide. The bluefish were missing but there were schools of bunker so I got out my sabiki rig and filled up on fresh bait. Then I headed to negros head reef and fished the hole just west of of the shallow water and had nonstop action on porgy but only a couple of bites on the bunker. The tide slacked up around 11:30 and the porgy bite disappeared. My GPS stopped working so I used my navionics phone app to find a spot that looked decent for some slack tide fishing and sure enough it produced excellent porgy fishing along with a few 8 - 17 pound bluefish. Had one stripper hit the live porgy I live-lined for giggles and ended up landing and releasing a fat 32 inch stripper. Definitely a fun trip and caught a bad sunburn along with a lot of fish. I'm getting addicted to the kayak haha

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard and nice report! I'm looking forward to fishing in the sound more than I have in the past. What do you throw for porgies?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a very simple rig when I'm kayak fishing for porgies. I tie 8 inches of 10 pound mono to my sinker weights and then tie that using a loop to my main line which is 50 LB power pro braided yellow. then a couple of inches up I make a double loop and I buy the pre-rigged 1/0 hooks with the 12 inches of 25 pound mono on them. I tried fishing with two hooks on my main line but the first two times i doubled up it took me 10 - 15 minutes to fix the tangled mess from the fish jumping around in my lap haha. So now i just use one hook with either squid or clams. The last trip out they were hitting the clams but they were aggresivly hitting the squid and the squid lasted after hooking many porgy. They were so aggresive with the squid that they would run off with it before it even hit the bottom. The few times that i snagged , my 4 oz. sinker would just snap off and i would rig a new one on.

PECo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've never been much of a bait thrower. Is there a way to fish for them without bait?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know porgies are more of a bottom fish with small mouths compared to their body size so i haven't tried fishing them with lures however my granddad would catch them while fishing for black sea bass with fluke jigs with strips of squid in them although i think the porgy were more interested in the squid than what the lure looked like. I have however used a sabiki rig while fishing on my buddies boat for giggles and the water was very clear. I shocked my fiends when i pulled up 3 - 4 keeper porgy while they were pulling up one at a time haha. The circumstances have to really be perfect to fish for them with a sabiki rig and most people would probably look at me with a weird look on the face for doing it. But honestly im from south carolina and down there i would catch all sorts of things with a sabiki rig. I once caught a 7 pound flat head catfish while trying to get bait with a sabiki rig. Im sure someone here has tried using lures on porgy , maybe they'll chime in on the subject

fishndaze

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im new to the area and just getting into kayak fishing this year however i have alot of experience fishing in new england so if you are ever interested in launching out of branford we could meet up and fish the reefs around that area, i have had alot of luck this year around negros head reef and branford reef although branford reef is a 5 mile round trip paddle so ive only done that once on a kayak. Im thinking about using my trolling motor for trips longer than 3 miles because my kayak is kinda like paddling a barge haha

Csteven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, thanks for sharing. Your spots will probably be good for tog too, can't wait for that season to start.
kennethshaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Branford Reply with quote

Csteven

I work in north haven. Would love to hit some porgies next weekend if you are free.

Lemme know

Ken
fishndaze

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ken, that would be great to meet some of you guys. I have been talking to PRO12 and we are planning on going out of Oweneego tennis club if the weather cooperates next weekend. We are going to be targeting black fish however I will probably also try to catch some porgy for some added fun. We will probably be launching at 7:30 on Saturday or 8:20 on Sunday depending on which day the weather cooperates

kennethshaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be able to make Saturday early or Sunday. Look forward to meeting yo guys.
Csteven

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting together with you all would be great. Not sure if I'm in yet, but I'll keep you posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Kayak Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: