CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: New to the state Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: New to the state Reply with quote

Hey all new to the site and soon to be new to the state. The wife and I will be moving from N. central Mass to Wolcott when my company moves to Bristol. We belong to a small bass club here and will be looking for same thing down there. We're also looking for some good places to take our boat, we have a 16' Monark bass boat. We know nothing about the state and appreciate all info we can round up. We do small tournys here 8-12 boats are in our club now. We're looking forward to hitting some new water real soon. We will be living in the Hitchcock Lakes area but can't use our boat because we're not waterfront, we're waterfront here in Mass. so it's a little depressing for now. So just want to say "hey everyone"
John and Jenn
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was hoping with 34 views somebody would know of a small bass club in that area that might be looking for new members. I''l keep hoping and looking as well.
hoppy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since we live in a small state you can reach just about most lakes within and hour drive or so. not sure where wolcott is honestly. west? if so then you have lots of choices uncluding candlewood. probably the best smallie lake in the state and also the biggest lake at 5,000 acres. in the north west corner you have winchester, highland, colebrook, Twin lakes, etc.
if your on the east side of the river.....mashapaug, bolton lakes, crystal lake, etc, etc. all can offer some good bass fishing.
as for clubs..........There are a bunch across the state. Im sure guys will chime in on theres and others. Id say join one of the site T's but they always end up getting cancelled before they even ever happen. [/list]
hila2006

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply, Wolcott I guess is kind of central. It's near Waterbury and Bristol. Bantam, Highland, and of course the Ct river are going to be our first spots to hit. We're thinking of hitting the Tuesday Night Tourny in East Hartford, maybe we'll run into some people who know about some clubs.
Thanks
fishingmedic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to CT hila, I'm new to the site, just joined yesterday (never knew this site existed, I used to go to another site for CT fishing but it's a pay site now). I'm living on the other side of Wolcott from you, over on the Cedar Lake end of town. That's another great fishery however it's private so you've gotta find someone who owns property on it to fish it, but there's nice LMB and perch in there. In our neck of the woods for boats I'd say basically the same as you were already told or already know, Highland, Candy. Quassapaug is also another nice one with lots of big trout and bass, and although it's private, I believe there's a place you can launch from there for a fee, but don't quote me on that. Shoot me a PM when you get into town and we'll hook up. I'll pick my father in laws brain about other spots to drop a boat in or clubs as he may know more.
hila2006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciated, we were looking for Cedar lake, but nothing was available in time. We're gonna be in town this weekend to do some painting etc. Also bringing a couple rods and some tackle when we need a break, told the wife we're not just working all weekend. Can't wait to bring our boat down, soon. I'll pm ya when we're finally moved down. Have you heard anything about Hitchcock Lakes? I've heard there are bass and I've heard there isn't. The wife and I go bass fishing quite often, and it would be a bummer if there's no bass in it. Thanks again.

John
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoville Reservoir is nice, but gasoline motors are not permitted. It has a wide variety of fish, including trout and bowfin, I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ct Anglers guide has tons of info and you could probably google some local bass or fishing clubs. Sometimes I just google map the state and focus in on an area, I live in Manchester, work in Enfield so I try to search areas around those spots, for days off and when I have nights off that's when I'll go the extra miles and hit a bigelow or do a Rt 2 Run or, especially after labor day, I'm going to do my Northwest treck, Winsted/Barkhamsted area. I have no boat also so I look for a lot of shore access or I do a lot of walking to find spots.
hila2006

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peco, we're thinking about running by Scoville on Saturday sometime, heard there was decent bass fishing there hows the shore fishing there?. Also good for no motorized boats. The Ct anglers guide sounds like a good Chud, thanks for that. Yeah we do the same kind of thing and google map areas to look for good shore fishing spots, sometimes you just want to walk around and leave the boat at home, so we're always open to good shore spots as well. So if you don't mind my asking, "what do you mean by a RT 2 run?
flippy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hila, my name is jim, if you are looking for a BASS affiliated club I can give you names and numbers, if your looking for fun get together tournys, like the one I tried to start, your wasting your time on this sight,,, ALOT OF TALKERS,, you can pm me and I could talk to you about clubs,, but like I said, this is the wrong sight if your looking for a small club,,If you would like to hook up,, I can show you our bigger waters, like Candlewood, Lillanonah, Zoar,, give me a pm,,your better off doing OPENS,, I can get you a list of OPENS,, You could go to CTFISHERMAN.COM,, you have to pay 15 dollars a year,, but those are your more serious guys,, And they have OPEN tournys for members..
fishingmedic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hila2006 wrote:
Appreciated, we were looking for Cedar lake, but nothing was available in time. We're gonna be in town this weekend to do some painting etc. Also bringing a couple rods and some tackle when we need a break, told the wife we're not just working all weekend. Can't wait to bring our boat down, soon. I'll pm ya when we're finally moved down. Have you heard anything about Hitchcock Lakes? I've heard there are bass and I've heard there isn't. The wife and I go bass fishing quite often, and it would be a bummer if there's no bass in it. Thanks again.

John

I've heard that Hitchcock has plenty of bass in it, although I don't fish it often. Scovilles has plenty of shore fishing and there's also Chestnut Hill Res in town, but that has limited shore access, although I see people fishing a few spots off the road almost daily. There's a sweet little "farm" pond up near my end of town that's got huge bluegills, perch and some monster LMB in it also that's great for getting kids into nice fish and to wet the line when you've got a little time available but want to get on fish quick.
chud059

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So if you don't mind my asking, "what do you mean by a RT 2 run?"

I worked in Norwich for a couple of stints, so I would go down Rt 2 and see bodies of water, signs for state parks or ponds, etc. So finally on a day off I just went down Rt 2 got off some exits, or rt 66 for rivers and parks, took my ct almanac, that's how I found a park on rt 149/151 that has 3 little ponds, the Ct River boat launch near the salmon river near some opera house, also, Lake pocotopaug (sp), but couldn't find any place to fish there, Moodus is down that way, Hayward lake I think is that way. Then when you get to the norwich area you cross over to Rt 32 and that eventually brings you up towards the williamantic area. Lots of driving, parking, walking, catching a couple of fish and moving on.
chud059

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, I worked in the forestville section of Bristol for a year and a half, never fished there but that is a very nice area.
hila2006

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chud for all your help with spots to fish, we really have no idea of anything down there yet. So any help is greatly appreciated. We'll see how we do this weekend, post some results here when we're done.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fish the south shore of Scoville from the earthen dam but, as always, a boat is better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: