CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » New Member Section
Viewing Topic: Newbie here - N8cas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8cas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Newbie here - N8cas Reply with quote

This site looks perfect for a newbie like me. My name is Nate and I am a 27 yr old from the Newington area. Have been fishing sporadically over the years but got the fever real bad this spring and decided to invest some money into better tackle. I have been a closed-reel guy all my life, but wanted to obviously step it up if I were to get as serious as I'd like. Wanted to get a baitcaster as they resemble the closed-reels I am used to, but was told I'd have too much trouble with this sophisticated reel. Bought an Okuma Stratus open-reel spincaster (SG-30) to go on a medium-heavy Ugly stick rod. I am SLOWLY getting used to it (Everything is entirely different from what I have been used to) I also bought the best closed-reel model I could find for my girlfriend - but really, it's for me when I get too frustrated with my troubling casts on the new open-reel (Abu-Garcia Gold Series Automatic)

I do not have a boat (sux) but also feel I am not quite ready and I am used to shore fishing my whole life - my largest accomplishment was landing a 4lb bass from a small pond in my old neighborhood. Eventually I want to use a boat to get out and actually land my first LM of the year. I'd like fishing to be my new summer hobby as golf is too expensive. I need something like fishing to get my mind off stressful work

In advance, I apologize if some of my posts are not perfect. I have experience on several other similar forums and found that some forum communities are really strict and not kind to newbies which makes me even more reluctant to post, but this site looks to be very patient and forgiving - I hope to gain a lot of good research and info from CTFishTalk.
n8cas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true! Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get use to the open faced before you just to baitcasters... it has taken me a few years to get the down, and im still not an expert at them. spinning rods are what i use 99% of the time anyway... just get out there and fish with the spinning rod. you will get it down... just get your time in on the water and you will be golden...

Just one more cast...
Old Mud

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Nate!! Smile , Don't worry about being a newbie, Everyone Had to start someware. I type with 2 fingers, (1 from each hand) LOL. I can't catch fish, and I'am old!! And they still humor me !! Shocked Shocked
Enjoy the site ,good guys here. Cool

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate, welcome to the site! Don't worry about asking for help, we were all once a rookie too. Very Happy Most of what we learned is "on the job" training and there is no better job than fishing. I also live in Newington. I have 3 boats so maybe we could get together sometime and wet a line. Once you begin boat fishing you will have a better understanding of how critical boat positioning is to fishing! Good luck with your new tackle.

Jim
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate, Welcome.. I'm am also a newbie (somewhat) getting better each time I go out.

Like Jim I live in Newington too. Either Jim or I wouldn't mine taking you out on a real boat ( Skeeters RULE ) Laughing .

Jim and Mark (just4fun) I work together thats how I got hooked on a Skeeter boats.

This site is Great the guys have really helped me to learn what to use and when to use it..

See you around town.

Ron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys. I'm actually looking into buying a cheap aluminum boat with a cheap trailer, but don't know where to store it - I live in an appt. (have to beg a relative). There was a combo in the paper advertising a 12 foot lowes aluminum boat with electric motor and bandit trailer for $450. That seems reasonable. I'll have to do my research before I get on board with this idea. I really appreciate the offers as well!! Last night I went to Batterson and fished the North/Northwest shore and didn't leave empty handed!!! I brought a tick home embedded underneath my arm. Only got half out with tweezers, went to the Doctor, got the rest taken out and that's that. Hopefully I'll catch something a little bigger next time.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8cas - i have a fiberglass bass boat i will sell you for $400.00 It needs a motor though

Just one more cast...
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate,

There is a Small Alumin boat on Robbins Ave for sale.

Ron
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did they give you the doxycycline as a preventive measure?

Just one more cast...
n8cas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.....Do you have a picture of the boat you're selling, Marc? I'll have to check out the boat on Robbins Ave as well. Of course I'll have to beg my uncle to house the boat n trailer...... I need to buy a house
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i have photos of it... Its nothing pretty, but its a very study boat that you can stand up in with no problems and is sturdy enough to have 3 or 4 guys standing up in it fishing and walk around alittle... I have just lowered the price for you...

i have it listed in the classified section... here is the link to it

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=306

Just one more cast...
Just4fun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum,..like Jim said, we all were newbies tot he sport at some point,..so don't be shy, ask about anything you think of!
ps: ESPECIALLY, ask about tackle before you buy anything,...we will do our best to steer you in the right direction and keep you from wasting your money! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> New Member Section All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: