CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Night Fishing Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Night Fishing Reply with quote

I was wondering what everyone uses at night. I'm not trying to steal your favorite bait, just wanted a few more ideas.

I typically use 1/2 oz. or 3/8 oz black spinnerbait with at least a #5 colorado blade. I really liked the Terminator titanium series, but you just cannot find them in black any more. I generally use a trailer hook, but not always. I also use a 7 inch Berkley power worm texas rigged and some sort of top water, usually a spook or jitterbug.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zara Spook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the black jitterbug. Also may want to try a black jig'n'pig or a senko.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my black jitterbug at night... used it last night and had a nice hit on it. I also like my black spinnerbait always with a trailer hook... Also any other top water baits that are black. i have never tried those glow in the dark lures, but i hear some people like them...

Just one more cast...
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black jitterbug
Single big colorado bladed spinner bait. Black and blue/or/red (midnight specials work well)
Buzzbiat
red shad senko (dead sticking)

I like all these because of ease. If you run a spook or popper, its a little more difficult to use if its real dark. Nice moons help, and in that case, spooks or poppers would be nice also.

Remember, dark colors !!!

With jitterbugs you must remember a few things. Dont set the hook, no matter what that dummy said up there Smile

Dont let them run with it either. There is nothing worse than digging a bug out from the gut area.

Get used to hearing the blow up and try not to get excited !!!! Dont stop, dont do anything other than keep going the way you were.

If the fish gets it, youll feel the fish within seconds. If the fish completely misses, he will probably try again (DONT STOP).

Ive witnessed a fish attack a bug 3 casts in a row in the same spot, taking shots at it atleast twice each time it past. It was a 6lb LMB !!
It wasnt me who caught it, i would have givin up after the second go.

Theres another rule. If the fish hits the bug and misses, BUT you FELT the fish, its OVER. DO NOT try again with the bug! You may ruin the next step....

Throw the senko, and TRY to hit the fish in the head. DEAD STICK it. Thats your best shot!

Oh, lastly, dont thank me
Pay me Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, another thing. Dont use braided line at night. You want that stretchy mono to help you since you cant see very well. Ive tried braid several times and finaly figured this out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry, i like this topic. And i feel im talking about something i know alot about.

Ive also come to the conclusion that not using a trailer on the buzz or spinnerbait is a mistake.

Any black, or with glitter, chunk will work fine. Ive been buying in bulk off ebay. Its much cheaper and hey, its dark. They wont know Smile

Ive often found myself suddenly not getting hits on the spinnerbait, then noticing the trailer is gone, either from casting or the last fish. Only to then replace the trailer and not long after catching another.

Usualy at night i have 4 rods set with my esentials. I dont spend alot of time with a single bait. Instead, ill switch often.

Ive had plenty of nights where i would catch a fish, drop the rod, pick up another rod, catch a fish, then drop that rod.

I dont cover water at night. It hit specific areas and i spend time on them. I guess i would suggest you learn a place real good to learn your spots.

Yes, im writing a manual Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie wrote:

With jitterbugs you must remember a few things. Dont set the hook, no matter what that dummy said up there Smile

Dont let them run with it either. There is nothing worse than digging a bug out from the gut area.

Get used to hearing the blow up and try not to get excited !!!! Dont stop, dont do anything other than keep going the way you were.

If the fish gets it, youll feel the fish within seconds.

First of all, my remark was supposed trigger a giggle. I hope it did that Sad ?

Its all general info there. It doesnt say set the hook, because you dont have to. It basicly sets itself, just like a crankbait. All you have to do is reel up and lift when you FEEL them.

Besides that, if you get trigger happy, as it sounds you are/do, you could be pulling away from another chance at that fish. Its similar to pad fishing with frogs, with an exception. In that case, once you feel the fish, you have to rip it HARD to set those hooks.

Hope im making some sense here. Im gonna have to take you to school at Mudge some time Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I smell a challenge! Do I hear Bet?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring it! Night fishing on Mudge!

Just one more cast...
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie,

I know you said not to thank you, but thanks for all of the advice. If you tie on a mono or floro leader to the braid, it might work a little better for you.
Paul-CT

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Night Fishing Reply with quote

Gotta give my 2 cents worth: 4 rods rigged as follows...

1) Spinnerbait - Black Colorado single blade w/plastic chunk 1/2oz.

2) Buzzbait - Black w/no trailer.

3) Jitterbug - Black 3/4oz.

4) Jig - Black/Blue w/black chunk trailer 3/8oz.

I have had great luck with all of these baits...its really a no brainer cuz you don't have to worry about what color to use....just what type of bait they want to hit that nite...
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one question... what no trailer on the black buzz?

Just one more cast...
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy, here we go. Another dont listen to that dummy up there???

Nah, not this time. Ill just beg to differ Smile

I only use buzzbaits without the trailer when i dont know ive lost the one that was on it Smile

Hey, all i know is some one is getting schooled tomorrow night !!!

Who? Where? How?

(and oh......boy) the smack talk Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now watch, im gonna embarrass myself Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: