CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Night Fishing Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Night Fisher

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Night Fishing Reply with quote

Where in tolland/Hartford county can you fish at night. I usually do the rivers at night, but they are way to high still. I'm looking for a LEGAL place.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolton is legal is night, Depending on where you park. The beach area is closed but you can park at the boat launch and walk there or fish the rocks along the launch.
atkins

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its got big channel cats too, great for night
atkins

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mansfield, coventry are both open to 24 hour fishing
Night Fisher

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. Bolton is ten minutes from my house. Now I never understood where you could shore fish at coventry lake without being a resident. And when you say Mansfield do you mean Mansfield hollow?

I have been a deep sea saltwater angled most my life so night fishing lakes and ponds is new to me. I appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, ive heard of folks doing well with bass at night from the shore at mansfield hollow.
coventry doesnt offer much from shore, but cant hurt to toss out some shiners and hope for a walleye. The state boat launch on the eastern shore.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holbrook Pond in Hebron - The launch/roundabout is shallow and weed-choked, but I've had success fishing along the access road to the south. It's dark, buggy, nonresidential...the wildlife noises can get pretty intense so you might want to bring a weapon or a friend to toss to the coyotes (the scarier a place is, the better the topwater bass action at night.) Live bait will produce plenty of bullhead.

Lower Bolton is the place to go for catfish. Not scary at all, so don't expect much in terms of bass.

Morey Pond, Halls Pond, Crystal Lake in Ellington (NW side.) Batterson & Silver are both in Hartford county, but not worth the drive. I wouldn't bother with Coventry from shore.

Avoid state parks, wildlife management areas & campgrounds. There will likely be gates/signs near the entrance of any place that prohibits night fishing.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Night Fisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...I like freaky fishing spots. No body takes your spot at night that way. I have fished at night for years and still have yet to see something come at me. Well besides dep lol. The only thing I ever saw was a swan by milestone power plant with glowing green eyes growling at us. That was just funny.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky neck is open 24/7 to anglers, I like fishing the out flow of bridebrook, park at the giants neck lot, says no parking but ive never had a problem after sunset. The incoming tide is the best, got 2 stripers that way last year, one keeper, squid on a 3 way.
If your getting bored head to the west by the main entrance to the beach, and your likely to nab a dogfish, yes they are a "trash" fish, but they fight hard and its better then nothing.
Night Fisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I was there about three weeks ago out on that jetti. That thing will get your neck broken if your not careful. There is a parking area with a trail around the corner that's legit to park at night. I do a lot down that way but I was just getting sick of the hour drive. Live in Vernon so it gets to be a hike.
By the way, dog fish are fun to catch. Had one night last year all we were getting was those and they were all like 3-4 feet long. Good fights.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't dogfish good eating?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard some people love them. I can't remember what country it is but they actually use them as their version of "fish n chips". Never had it but I would think they would be tough and gamey.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark fin soup!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what they use in England, the spiny dogfish, one of the most wide spread of all sharks is actually in trouble . The brits wiped out cod, then moved on to the trash fish.
I read you need to marinate them to get rid of the ammonia smell due to the urea in their skin.
Night Fisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure I want to try it anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: