CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Nod Brook WMA 07/25
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Nod Brook WMA 07/25 Reply with quote

I had an hour and 15 minutes to kill while my son was at his kempo karate class, so I headed over to Nod Brook WMA. I hoped that the rain would stop and, if so, planned to just fish from the shore, even though I had my Trophy 126 kayak on the roof of my car. Immediately after I arrived at the area between the two ponds at 6:00 pm, the rain stopped. Hallelujah! Surprised The sky remained overcast with clouds and the air was cool. Surprisingly, I had no problems with any mosquitos. I decided to try the upper (i.e., south) pond first. The water level in the pond is really low:

Areas that were under a foot of water a couple of weeks ago are now high, dry and covered with terrestrial vegetation. I threw an unweighted bullfrog colored Zoom Horny Toad frog over the weeds to the right of the culvert. On my second cast, I got a hit, set the hook and landed a small largemouth bass:

I walked over to the sandy beach where the culvert empties into the lower (i.e., north) pond and threw the frog parallel to the south shore. I got two hits on one cast, but missed the hookset both times. By this time, I was getting excited because there was a lot of activity around me: largemouth bass were hitting the frog, sunnies were schooling, turtles were splashing, bugs were jumping on the water everywhere and fish were rising. So I decided to get my kayak off of the roof of my car and paddle around the lower pond. Now, a couple of weeks ago I couldn't buy a strike on a frog. Crying or Very sad I figured that today would be different, but didn't get another hit on my frog for an hour while I paddled all over the pond. Twisted Evil As 7:00 pm neared, right when I thought that I would have to leave to pick up my son, he called to tell me that he had a ride home. Hallelujah, again! Very Happy When I got to the north end of the pond at 7:15 pm, the action finally picked up. I boated largemouth bass that were 15, 17, 12, 12 and 14 inches long. The 17 incher was a chunk! Once again, I didn't have my digital scale with me, but I'm pretty sure that it weighed at least three pounds:

[Oops! I forgot to take photos of the second 12 incher and the 14 incher!]

Here are a couple of videos that I shot with my iPhone:

Link

Could you tell that I was holding the iPhone with my mouth as I reeled in the frog? Cool

Link

Here's a photo of the 19 incher and one of the last 12 incher that I caught at 8:05 pm:

I was surprised at how aggressively the bass hit the frog today. I've never had such a good strike to hookset ratio. I probably missed only a couple of hooksets from the kayak. Once they hit it, they didn't want to let it go. I think that I'll head back to Nod Brook again on a sunny day to see whether I can pull any fish off of the bottom through the weeds. The really big largemouth bass and the chain pickerel have to be hiding in there somewhere!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Nod Brook WMA 07/25 Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I was surprised at how aggressively the bass hit the frog today. I've never had such a good strike to hookset ratio.

Dare I guess that you've started throwing the frog since all of this heat and sun have been around? A little overcast weather and a sprinkle of fresh rain to help oxygenate the water will do wonders to turn on the bite.

I had mentioned in one of your earlier posts about hitting up Batterson when this weather finally arrived...if this pattern hold for another day Phil, nows the time.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately, unfortunately, I've had to work my fishing in around my kids', my nephews' and my wife's schedules. I'll probably head to Batterson around noon today, while my kids and nephews are at Lake Compounce.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff as always Phil. What if a whopper nailed your frog with your phone in your mouth! Do you think you would've kerplunked it!?1?! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that I could have found out what would have happened! Surprised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: