CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Nod Brook WMA - Lower Pond 07/12
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Nod Brook WMA - Lower Pond 07/12 Reply with quote

I had 40 minutes to spend on the water in my Future Beach Trophy 126 kayak while my kids were at their kempo karate class. I launched on the north end of the lower pond. It was still very warm out and there was next to no wind. The glare of the setting sun was incredible. I threw a Stanley Ribbit frog on a Stanley Double Take hook over the weeds, which are a real fishing killer now. I've been fishing at Nod Brook for three years and have never seen the weeds as thick. The normal weeds are now matted with slime weed. Even a weedless frog collects clumps of weeds. I didn't take any tackle with me in my kayak, so I couldn't change out my hook, but the Stanley hook and frog were way too big and heavy for the conditions. I wish that I had taken a wacky rig with me so I could have fished deeper around the edges of the weed mats. After 40 minutes of casting, retrieving and cleaning the weeds off of the frog, I got not a single strike. Nada. Nothing. Squadouche. It was the worst 40 minutes of fishing that I've ever experienced at Nod Brook. I also saw very few fish rising. If I were to go back again, I'd bring a smaller, lighter frog rig and a wacky rig to fish deeper. But that's a big "if". Confused

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo...
Have you had much success with bass at nod? You fish upper or lower?

I've seen some 4 lbers pulled by friends but ive never had such luck. it always seemed the fish there we few and far between. have you checked out the simsbury crew team docks down by the flower bridge on the farmington? that can always be fun. catch small trout and fallfish for a change of pace. also some nice lmb if you go downriver a bit into the wildlife management area. nice bass holes.

wanna have fun at nod? try carp fishing... probably better from shore though, not a kayak
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest largemouth bass that I've pulled out of the upper (i.e., south) pond was only about 3-1/2 pounds, although TurtleKiss (aka Kira) and DirtyDawg10 (aka Derek) have each caught a 4-1/2 pounder that we call Noddie. From the lower (i.e., north) pond, my biggest bass was just over 4-1/2 pounds. This Spring, I saw a kid pull out a five pounder from the shore while using a spinning reel upside down. There are some good bass in both ponds, well, unless the bucket people have gotten them. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by PECo on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
dcfryxell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dep should check the bucket people for licenses
bigpoppa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey PECo, how do you like the Future Beach Trophy 126? I'm looking into getting a fishing kayak, and that one looks very good for the price.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the $300 that the Future Beach Trophy 126 Kayak costs at Dick's Sporting Goods when it's on sale, it's the best inexpensive fishing kayak that you can buy. It's on sale right now:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4002650&ab=LN_HotProducts1_Kayaks8_20110619&cp=4406646.4413993.4417832

If I could own only one kayak, I might head over to EMS and pick up a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120, which is on sale for a terrific price right now, plus Wilderness Systems is offering a $50 rebate on kayaks purchased before July 30:

http://www.ems.com/promo/index.jsp?promoId=11879375

I was talking with one of my nephews today about how I choose which kayak to take fishing from the ones that I have. I take my Trophy 126 when I need a stable paddler. My Hobies don't play well with heavy weeds or submerged hazards and El Habañero (aka my Hurricane Santee 116 Sport) isn't as stable or durable. If launching would be difficult, or I might need to go over laydowns or rocks, the Trophy 126 would be my first choice.

The only major problem with the Trophy 126 is that you must modify the seat to make it less than excruciatingly uncomfortable. Both Fishface (aka Tim) and Daryl (aka Daryl) have replaced their seats completely. I sit on one of those rectangular foam kneeling pads that they sell for gardening at Ocean State Job Lot for $2. It works great for me, but you might need more support. Others find the backrest to be less than comfortable, too. I'd love to hear how others who own a Trophy 126 have modified their seats. Steven? Tim?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't modded my seat yet. I don't find it that uncomfortable but I sit an a chair all day at work so it's not much different for me. Plus I don't exactly have a boney figure Wink so I add a little cushion myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent been in my kayak for much more than 2 hours at a time, so the seat doesn't bother me much. A kneeling pad like PECo uses helped a bit when I was out for about 4 hours. I cant imagine sitting in the original seat for that long. Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxCdnQ8WEfQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: