CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Nod Brook WMA - Upper Pond 01/23 Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Nod Brook WMA - Upper Pond 01/23 Reply with quote

DirtyDawg10 (aka Derek) and I fished the upper pond at Nod Brook WMA today. We met at the paved office park lot near the entrance to the park where the gravel road begins at 9:00 am. None of the roads in the park have been plowed, so we left Derek's two wheel drive car in the lot and took my wife's all wheel drive, snow tire equipped SUV. And even with that, we still had some difficulty getting out of there at the end of the day. When we got down there, we saw virgin snow on both the upper and the lower pond:

We geared up and were ready to go when I realized that I had forgotten to bring the auger. Rolling Eyes Sheisse! So we spent the next half hour retrieving it from my house. We ended up getting onto the ice at 10:00 am. It was bitterly cold, but we had cloudless sunny skies and there was less wind than had been forecast. We decided to drill a few holes near the old beaver lodge on the east shore near the north end of the pond. At 10:30 am, Derek got the first bite of the day and landed a decent yellow perch:

Unfortunately, that was the only bite we got over there, so we decided to head over to the debris pile in the middle of the south end of the pond, which is deepest part of the pond. About halfway there, Derek broke through the top layer of crusty snow and took a couple of footsteps into the wet slush underneath, which prompted him to confess that he had gained some extra winter weight. Surprised We drilled six or seven holes in the vicinity of where we thought the debris pile is, but didn't get even a nibble. Around 1:30 pm, we decided to begin working our way back toward the culvert on the north end of the pond. Quite frankly, we were a little discouraged. But we weren't cold, and Derek said that he wanted to drill a hole where he had broken through the crusty snow and gotten his boots wet. I drilled a hole first and changed my jig. I got it into the water just when Derek finished drilling his hole. He dropped his jig into the water and, before it even hit the bottom, he yelled that he had a fish on. As his rod bent over double he yelled that it was a big one. And he began whooping when he saw the maw of a largemouth bass in the hole and bent down to lip it:

If you don't know or remember what it's like to catch your Personal Best largemouth bass, this is what it looks like:

The bass was 21 inches long and weighed four pounds, nine ounces:

I think that Bluegill Terminator (aka Pete) takes the best fish photos, so I asked Derek to pose for a BTesque photo:

But Derek couldn't really keep the big smile off of his face:

Derek and I joked that he might have caught the same bass that TurtleKiss (aka Kira) caught in the same pond last November. When I texted Kira, I think she doubted that it was. But if you look closely at the markings on the fish, you'll see that, yes, it was:

Catch and release, baby!

Last edited by PECo on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bluegill Terminator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha nice report Phil and with all my pics I don't hold my arm straight out you can see that my elbow is bent. A straight arm is a dead give away that it's really not as big as it looks, but there is another way... Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the master of the fish photo, Pete! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

Nice pictures and Nice fish DD! -> Congrats Exclamation Very Happy

But Phil Question Where's the one of you in your New Hat Question Question Question

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Oh, yeah! Reply with quote

No, I didn't get skunked. I drilled one last hole near the culvert before we got off the pond and caught a fall fish:

And here I am stylin' in my new "I'm no longer afraid of the cold" outfit:

I had been wearing GoreTex bibs over khakis. Today, I added Carhartt bibs over that. I didn't shiver even once. My fluffy new fishing hat probably helped, too. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil!

WOW! Nice Hat! -> And your color co-ordinated too! Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

SeaDog1
asianfisher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... great catch and posts...
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report and the pics Phil. It was fun to see a head that big come through the ice. The moral to the story is...bring a fat guy fishing with you and when he falls through the ice drop a jig down the hole Wink

In case anybody was wondering the fish was caught on a 1/12oz macho minnow golden shiner color with a live waxworm. Thanks SeaDog for the recommendation on the macho minnow kit.
basswacka19

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch!! wow that must be fun catching a bass like that on a little jigging rod! I think i'm gonna get one and try jigging some bass up threw the soft water.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh, yeah! Reply with quote

[/quote] I had been wearing GoreTex bibs over khakis. Today, I added Carhartt bibs over that. I didn't shiver even once. My fluffy new fishing hat probably helped, too. Very Happy[/quote]

Carhartt is all I wear. Best stuff on the Earth. For icefishing though instead of bibs I wear wool pants even better than Carhartt!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BT!

Yeap!..... Wool pants -> The BEST Exclamation Very Happy -> because they will still keep you warm if wet Exclamation
I get mine at the Army-Navy surplus in Portland, Ct.

Cahartts -> NOPE/NEVER Exclamation -> Made of cotton -. Cotton is well known as the "Death Fiber" because it will retain moisture and freeze when wet!

SeaDog1
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BT!

Forgot to mention, I also get the best wool clothing from Vermont.

www.johnsonwoolenmills.com

A bit pricy but worth every penny because they last almost forever Exclamation

SeaDog1
asianfisher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wool is the best to go.. Pricey but well worth it... some people like it inside but i had best outside shells to some mid-layer....
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Hey, Pete! Reply with quote

Better, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basswacka19 wrote:
Nice catch!! wow that must be fun catching a bass like that on a little jigging rod! I think i'm gonna get one and try jigging some bass up threw the soft water.

It was definitely a new experience. Most fish feel big on those rods but when this one bent the rod in half and stripped line every time I tried to reel it in I knew it really was big. I was just hoping the 8lb test would hold up and it did just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: