CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Nod Brook WMA - Upper Pond 04/11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Nod Brook WMA - Upper Pond 04/11 Reply with quote

I was supposed to meet mep21 (aka Mark) at Nod Brook WMA at 4:00 pm, but after spending 5-1/2 hours working on my federal income tax return, I'm still not done with it, so I wasn't able to go. However, at 5:15 pm, I had to take my daughter to her karate class, so I had about 45 minutes to kill and headed over there. I ended up getting to paddle and fish from 5:40 pm to 6:25 pm. It was only partly sunny and there was a gentle south breeze, but it was beautifully warm.

Mark was in the upper (i.e., south) pond, and had caught a decent chain pickerel and a small largemouth bass on his Texas rigged Baby Brush Hog, I think. I still had my white perch lures tied on, and decided to stick with them and just pull up some panfish. We started fishing the dropoff before the shallows on the south end of the pond, but didn't get anything. After 20 minutes, I told Mark that my "go to" spot is in front of the old beaver lodge on the north end of the east shore and we worked our way down the east shore toward it. I got there first, and pulled up a sunny and a nine inch black crappie, but then I had to run to pick up my daughter. As I paddled back toward my car, Mark yelled that he got a rock bass on his Brush Hog. Hopefully, he pulled up a bunch more before he had to take off.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you work? you are always fishing i envy you
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retired when my wife took a job in Hartford and we moved out here from Chicago 5-1/2 years ago. So, yeah, I get to fish all of the time. Very Happy I'm the luckiest person I know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishing is definitely better than taxes and work!! Nice job out there guys.
mep21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I meant to get on here and report out, but its been a busy week. Thanks for putting it up there Phil. I got a few more bites over by the dam after you left. Nothing too big. Before I called it a night I threw on a small rooster tail type spinner and fished the pipe draining to the lower lake for a little bit. There was a lot of fish activity over there. Ended up pulling out one smallmouth that was about 10 inches and three or four fallfish. Was kinda a multi species day with at least one larry, smallmouth, chain pickeral, rock bass, and fallfish. Overall nice day to be out and catching fish.

Looking forward to opening weekend. Let me know if anyone here wants to meet up this weekend! Definitely going to get the kayak out again.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A smallie? I've never seen a smallie at Nod Brook in three years. It must have been visited by a bucket biologist.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATTN: bucket biologist - Please put bowfin in Silver Lake and tiger muskies in Batterson. And dirt in 1860 Reservoir. Phil wanted me to ask you if you could possibly put more fallfish into Nod Brook. The fallfish to H2O ratio is only 3:1. Wayyyyy too much liquid.

SMB washed over from the Farmington River when it was flooding last month. Dumped in more trout too...lately they're being caught in places that are supposedly trout-free. A bunch of good-sized smallies could easily thrive in upper pond...they could fix that whole trout infestation problem and take over the deep water. Lower pond smallies would probably attempt to Free Willy themselves back into the river.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
JTrottaNY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All joking aside, I would like to catch a bowfin simply cause I never have before... whats a good place to find one? fish em like bass or more like pike? how warm does it have to be before they become active?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: