CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: North Farms today Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asianfisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: North Farms today Reply with quote

Will post later what me and Phil get... Im actually looking for the crappie.... woulndt mind a cow.... Anyone looking to go will be out on the ice straight out from either right side near bird island or left side straight out from dam...
asianfisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: North Farms today Reply with quote

Was a really bad experience on the ice today. gotta say it was a first sure Phil will post pics and explain it better than i can for ya'll....
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi af!

Hmmmmmm Question Let me guess Exclamation

SeaDog1
asianfisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that a guess or the info Phil gave ya while i was standing next to him.... Smile First time for me... EVER
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Bad News Reply with quote

asinafisher (aka Billy) and I got to North Farms Reservoir at 10:00 am. It was sunny and windy, but not particularly cold. It started out as a beautiful day:

Link

The ice got softer and softer throughout the day. It got so soft that Billy couldn't skate on it. We set our tip-ups to the southeast of the big island in the middle of the reservoir just after 10:30 am. When we started jigging in the area of our tip-ups, we couldn't find more than two and a half feet of water under the ice. We began prospecting for deeper water by drilling holes all over the place. The ice was at least 16 inches thick almost everywhere, although there were some old ice fishing holes that had expanded to 18 inches in diameter and frozen over, and spots where weeds or debris had caused thinner ice. We headed counter-clockwise around the island from our tip-ups. When we rounded the island, we headed toward the spillway in the southeast corner of the reservoir. This is what we found:

Link

Link

Interestingly, after we finally realized that the reservoir is dead, we packed up and all of the shiners that we had on our tip-ups were dead. Crying or Very sad

TurtleKiss (aka Kira) told me that I should report the fish kill to the DEP, so I called it in. A fisheries biologist called me back. He said that the DEP was considering issuing a winter fish kill bulletin. He mentioned that fish kills were reported at a small pond in Danbury and at Mono Pond in Cambridge. Unfortunately, he also confirmed our suspicion that since so many small sunnies had recently died, the bigger fish in the reservoir probably died a while ago. Billy and I got off the ice by 12:30 pm. You can cross North Farms off your list of fishing spots to check out this year.

Last edited by PECo on Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
asianfisher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad News Reply with quote

Will be very very upset if everything is dead. They got crappie, yellow perch, bullhead, bass, carp in this place with sunnies as you seen. What a waste if this is true everything died. Found over 20 dead sunnies different sizes also. Im still gonna give it faith cause this place has brought me many many good times after work and alot of fish that are way over 6lbs...
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow that sucks!
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my bathymetry, North Farms has a max depth of 5 feet with an average of 3 ft...Has anyone looked at 1860 Reservoir lately? Same situation....supershallow with heavy vegetation. Mono Pond is in Colombia, BTW. Sorry Billy. Crying or Very sad

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

Cambridge, Columbia. I don't know where either one of them is! Surprised

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 1860 has one deep hole where the fish can winter, but i've noticed there always seems to be dead fish in the spring there? usually crappie and sunnies
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks!

1860 does usually have a die off in the spring but I think it usually coincides with the spraying for weeds over there. Not positive though.
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dead panfish were in late April last year. I thought it might be pesticides too but the weeds just kept getting worse. Never found a deep hole...I probably got sick of cleaning slime off my prop before I reached it. This place is minutes from home and looks so promising, but I'd actually rather go to Batterson because it's less disgusting.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
JohnS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figures, the only place I pitched a shut out (NF) was last week after work got out for an hour and never marked a fish or got a bite. Now after seeing your video I know why.

I have seen 100's of dead sunfish there before in April, figured it's just the nature of the 3 fow and temps that fluctuate quicky one way or the other.

Seems like in this case the oxygen levels are WAYYYYY down. Should be interesting how this pond fishes in open water. Shallow water, weed choked in the summer and I'm sure it gets it's fair share of fertelizer run off. It's amazing the fish survie all the goose crap too. Too bad the state can't do something better with this shallow pond. I refer to it as the "local toilet".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnS - Was that you who drilled those holes in the vicinity of the southwest corner of the reservoir? Did you set tip-ups with shiners, too? Billy actually said, "I wonder whether our shiners are still alive.", before we checked and found that they were all dead.

Kira - I can't believe that YOU put this in writing:
Quote:
I'd actually rather go to Batterson. . . .

Your insomnia must be getting to you. You obviously need more sleep. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: