CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Not much luck so far this year
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTownsend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Not much luck so far this year Reply with quote

Been out a handful of times this year without any luck. A bunch of nibbles and hits so I know the fish are there. I've been going to the same pond I went to last year and had plenty of luck with LMB and even a pickerel, all caught on 6" Senkos. I have been using this same setup this year and was wondering a couple of things.

1.) Is anyone else having a very slow start this year? What have you done to remedy this and what do you think is the cause?

2.) Would switching to a smaller sized Senko help early in the season? I have been using 6" but wonder if a smaller size would help.

Thanks guys!
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have some better luck trying a 3 or 4 inch senko.

At least give it a try and see what it brings you
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I whacky rig the 5" Senkos faithfully. The year has saw a late extended spawn and the bass are still in different phases of confusion. I fished Candy with Pihil two weeks ago and caught 25 between us. The following week hit the same area and caught one.

Don't get discouraged. You'll find them

Last edited by Wanna Fish on Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article that said five inches is the ideal size for a largemouth bass lure. Try a wacky-rigged, five inch Senko in one of the green patterns. Use a Gamakatsu Number 4 Octopus Circle hook to reduce the risk of gut-hooking a fish. And fish slowly; let the Senko fall vertically, all the way to the bottom, before putting any tension in your line. Bass are like vacuum cleaners; they like to suck Senkos up off of the bottom.

If you're fishing shallow, a Zoom Horny Toad on a 4/0 Gamakatsu EWG Offset Shank Worm hook will get bites. Don't be afraid to throw it over weeds, grasses or pads. A steady retrieve would let you cover a lot of water. And, no, the fish won't care if the frog swims upside down when you retrieve it. Laughing

Keep trying and you'll catch 'em.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, I picked up some smaller Senkos and got some brighter colors as well to help with stained water conditions. Also grabbed a weedless frog that I'll try out. Hopefully I'll get out there within the next few days to give it another shot and I'll let you know if anything worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: