CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Notice of Regulation Public Hearing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigoutdoors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Notice of Regulation Public Hearing Reply with quote

Notice of Regulation Public Hearing
April 29, 2008

The DEP Marine Fisheries Division is holding a public hearing to take public comment on proposed amendments to regulations described below. The proposed amendments pertain to: (1) commercial trawl and fish pot fisheries and commercial fisheries for lobster, tautog and black sea bass; (2) recreational fisheries for scup, tautog, summer flounder and bluefish; and (3) all fisheries for sharks as well as any fisheries conducted under the Research Set-Aside program of the National Marine Fisheries Service.

Written comments will be accepted through June 2, 2008. Based on the public comment received, the proposals may be revised. The public hearing will be held at:

7:00 PM, Monday May 19, 2008
Clinton Town Hall, Green Room
54 East Main St. (Route 1)
Clinton, CT 06413

Specifically, the regulations proposed to be amended: (1) modify the definition of a fly net and allow a small-mesh trawl fishery for butterfish and squid during the fall; (2) exempt eel pots from certain fish pot requirements, establish a trap limit for fish pots, a trap tagging requirement for fish pots and a prohibition on setting or tending the fish pots of another fisherman; (3) adjust the definition of a v-notch and prohibit the possession of lobsters taken from Lobster Management Area (LMA) 6 (Long Island Sound) that are greater than 5-1/4 inches carapace length; (4) generalize the language regarding the transfer of LMA 2 lobster trap allocations to include any LMA for which the American Lobster Fisheries Management Plan of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission authorizes such transfers; (5) prohibit the take, possession and sale of certain shark species in Connecticut; (6) change the recreational minimum length (for party/charter vessels), creel limit and season for scup, (7) change the recreational minimum length, creel limit and season for summer flounder; ( change the recreational creel limit and season for tautog; (9) increase the possession limit for bluefish; (10) change the commercial season for tautog and the possession limit for tautog taken by trawl and eliminate the male tautog exemption during the closed season for the pound net fishery; (11) increase the commercial possession limit for black sea bass in the commercial hook, pound net, scallop dredge, gill net and lobster pot fisheries; (12) establish rules for notifying the department of fishing trips and landings conducted under the Research Set-Aside (RSA) program of the National Marine Fisheries Service and clarify that the RSA program is a federal waters program and that the RSA exemptions do not apply to fishing conducted in Connecticut waters; and (13) make various technical corrections and clarifications to the afore-mentioned regulations.

Further information, or copies of the proposed regulations can be obtained by writing the DEP Marine Fisheries Division, PO Box 719, Old Lyme, CT 06371, by calling 860.434.6043 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday or by emailing dep.marine.fisheries@ct.gov. (N08-13)

The DEP is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. In conformance with the ADA, individuals with disabilities who need information in an alternative format, to allow them to benefit and/or participate in the agency's programs and services, should call TDD (860) 424-3000 and make their request to the receptionist. Requests for accommodation to attend meetings and/or educational programs, sponsored by the DEP, must be made at least two weeks prior to the program date. These requests may be made directly to Marcia Z. Bonitto, ADA Coordinator, via e-mail: Marcia.Bonitto@ct.gov.
Quint's Revenge

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be anyone else from this site other than myself be attending the meeting? Anyone who is concerned about what is about to happen with these regs should be heard.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The commercial guy can go out and decimate fish populations like Fluke keeping everything they can catch but yet the weekend angler has to try and 5 fish 19.5 inches.Well how the hell are the supposed to get that big on a regular basis if the commercial guys rape the species.Also why is the season even open while these fish are breeding.That is just stupid.Maybe rethink of opening the season at the end of june and not the end of May.So they can atleast have done there business.
Striped Bas-Why not a slot limit.The small bass are decimating the crab and shiner/chub populations along the shoreline.Allow 2 striped Bass per day one fish 18-26 inches and 1 fish over 36.
The Porgy rule seems fine but unless you have the game warden checking these people it is worthless.I have witnessed people taking hundreds of porgies.I have seen days were everyfish caught has been taken by boats around us.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weakfish-How about closing weakfish until July 1st.They finally start to show up again along the beaches in West Haven only to be caught and kept by 90% of the people along the beach.There have been days down there I have seen 20 or 30 dead on the beach.
The meat is mushy and unless you cook that day its worthless.Every weakfish that is caught may and June seem to be spawners full of eggs, but here is a great idea let people catch and kill as many as they want because people for the most part are ignorant to things like this.Weakfish should be treated as a trophy and not a resource.
I am 90% catch and release,unless I am eating it that day or the next.A couple of porgies ,fluke or sea bass here and there or maybe a 2lb bluefish once and a while cooked on the grill or a 28 inch bass on rare occasions because the bigger they are the crappier bass and bluefish taste.
My rants will probably continue throught the day because I feel like it:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: