CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Nucanoe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wfparys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Nucanoe Reply with quote

Anyone here using a Nucanoe? Opinions of this watercraft?
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a sweet looking boat. Are you considering it because you want to be able to stand up when you fish? If so, have you considered a Wavewalk kayak, too?

http://www.wavewalk.com/

I met a woman on Rainbow Reservoir who told me that she owns three or four of them. They look like they're probably more stable than the Nucanoe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I have looked at them. The nucanoe has a much higher maximum load in the 12 foot version, and I'm a pretty big guy. With the Nucanoe I believe I could take my wife out with me.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

525 pounds versus 360? Wow! That's a huge difference. The tradeoff, though, is the beam (i.e., width) of 42 inches versus 28-1/2 inches. The Nucanoe is the widest paddler that I've ever seen. I'd expect a boat with that beam to use oars, not paddles. I also like hulls that can sit flat on a flat surface without rocking laterally (i.e., side to side). It makes launching from areas like shallow sloping beaches easier.

In either case, try before you buy if at all possible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of videos about the nucanoe and they look like they move pretty good. Accessories seem pricey but xmas is coming. Trying to convince myself to buy one.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi wfparys!

Phil gave you very good info.

Me -> I'm all about stability and comfort which small fishing crafts should be! -> Speed is a low needed factor!
(I'm a big guy also.)

Oh! One other Big factor -> See how you sit in any boat!
If you sit in it as you would a chair -> You'll be more comfortable.
If your sitting low with knees bent and feet out "you will" eventually get cramped and it's much harder to get in and out of a boat (tough on big guys) where your sitting low, especially after a few hours on the water!

Here are some of my top picks for you to consider. -> Look them over Exclamation

www.riverridgecustomcanoes.com
12'9" - 84 lbs. with 750 lb. capacity.
Very, very comfortable and well laid out with super accessories.
Watch videos!

www.gheenoe.net
Very comfortable and stable.
Watch videos!

www.customgheenoe.com
Shallow water boat - Very comfortable and stable - check-out the NMZ (No Motor Zone) model - They do make a 13' version not listed -> This one I'm thinking of getting!
Watch videos!

Good hunting,
SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
RobO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CT Outfitters has one of the Nucanoes in their store. Go check it out. It looked very cool to me..

512 Silas Deane Highway
Wethersfield, CT 06109
860-571-8986
Fax 860-571-9266

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to by one for myself pretty soon. I just am having a hard time deciding to go with the 10ft or 12ft. If I get the 10ft it was 59 pounds I believe so I can carry it like a briefcase to the water which is nice. But with the 12ft I can make a casting deck and make a mini bass boat, which is how I fish. Mostly I am standing out of my tin can, so if I can make a casting deck out of a very light yet strong material I"ll pretty much be fishing out of my boat in lakes with no ramps. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pete!

Your a big guy, so I think the 12 footer would give you more stability.

SeaDog1
couragedog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: kayak fishing Reply with quote

I know this is a older post if anyone is still interested.
Another good option is the Freedomhawk and cabelas has them. Alot of options as well. I have to admit the nucanoe looks really cool. I specialize in inuit design so I like sitin's, If I'm going for open leg room I like my canoe and my 1978 old town tripper has worked for me in all weather and all water.
If your bigger you can use a canoe just like a kayak, even use the same paddle.
Alot of this is gonna come down to how you use it and like was said "if the shoe dosent fit..'
A word about stability. If your not a kayaker you really have a poor judgement of what stability is. The learning curve for stability is remarkable and is compensated for in almost your first 20 minutes. Many who are concerned about stability will almost always under buy and want an upgrade by the end of the season. With that said sit on tops are a paddle-able platform that gives the word stability new meaning.
Most boats have fairly singular uses and before you buy you might want to seriously think about all that you want to do with your boat. Or you end up like me and have a boat collection and end up at a meeting for kayakers anonymous.
another option is to rent, some places let you rent for the season.
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also always borrow a boat to try it out. Try before you buy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: