CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater Reports
Viewing Topic: Old Lyme surfcasting/kayaking 8/14/08
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishaLou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Old Lyme surfcasting/kayaking 8/14/08 Reply with quote

I kayaked over to my usual surfcasting spot for a day on the beach with the GF. I recently bought a trolling tube to try on the kayak.... tried that out on the way over with no luck.

Once we got to the beach I started tossing some sandworms out. Caught 14 porgies if I counted correctly. Those things are all over the place... got old fast.

Anyway, clouds started rolling in and it began to rain, GF walked back to get the car and I took the kayak back. Tried trolling the tube and worm again on the way back. Finally saw my rod bend but alas... I hooked a buoy. Re-wormed and continued on through the rain. I got about 100 ft. from the main beach where my GF was waiting, starting reeling my line in and BAM something hit it. After a nice fight I was rewarded with a large striper... my fish kayak fish ever.

I didnt get a chance to measure it or get a picture since right after I unhooked him he flopped right off the kayak. I had a tough time trying to unhook him and figure out how to bring him in to shore for a picture. It was a fairly big fish (for me) ...had to have been 25+ inches at least. Catching a fish like that on a kayak is an awesome experience! I'll be doing alot more kayak fishing now.

Any advice on rigging up my kayak for ocean fishing, or landing a fish on the kayak would be appreciated Smile
ploplopfizzfizz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grats
Check around the net there are some websites to help u.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know sh1t about kayaks but they look fun as hell. Not sure if my back would be able to handle it though. Congrats on busting you kayak cherry. That must be fun as hell to fight a fish from a yak.

Im sure there are plenty of sites out there that can give you advice.

Justin
fowlairo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch- make sure you bring a good set of pliers, for the blues they like your fingers.- nacho-
Old Mud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice going Lou !!

Sounds like fun !! I was thinking about a Yak instead of the Tuna boat. Cool Cool

You might try here for a lot of Yak intel.

http://www.noreast.com/discussion/TopicList.cfm?forum_ID=17

Don

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
Hobie Wan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or yakdawgs.com
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try www.ultimatekayakfishing.com you will find a lot of useful info and some very expert kayak-fishing buddies to help you out on there!
ps: most of them are in CT too! Cool

As for managing a fish while you paddle,..I have a stringer-type clip attached to about 6 ft of cord that's tied to the kayak. I just clip the fish through the lower lip and then let it swim next to the kayak while I paddle! I'm not sure how long a fish will keep that way,..but for a short while it seems to work fine and the fish swim away afterward in good condition!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: