CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Old rod and reels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Old rod and reels Reply with quote

I was at my Parent's house for Easter yesterday and decided to head up to the attic. I found some of my old rods and reels from when I was a kid. Thought some of you might get a kick out of what I found.

This is my 25+ year old Daiwa reel that I used quite a bit. I had it mounted to an old pole with the sliding aluminum reel rings on a cork handle with duct tape holding the rings in place...lol. It still seems to be working fine and I'm planning to set it up for my Son to replace the crappy superman one he uses right now...minus the duct tape covered rod Wink

Here's an Ocean City 1600 baitcaster that was handed down to me from one of my old neighbor's. I'm not sure how old it is but it still has the old silk fishing line on it and it is mounted on a steel Bristol fishing pole. I don't think I ever actually used it but I'm glad I never threw it out either.

DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna need to change my screen name to "thread killer" soon... Embarassed

I thought the square steel rod was pretty interesting I had never seen one before. I looked them up and it looks like the guy who started the company is from Bristol, CT and the rod is probably from the early to mid 1900's.
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool man. Gotta love checking out the old gear...gives us young guys like me a chance to look back at the history of the sport and see how far technology in angling has come!

I was driving down the road last summer and came upon this old Shakespeare reel at this house that had a sign reading "FREE STUFF", so I took it- I did some research on it, but can't remember much...think it was from the 60s. It's pretty cool- the handles on the reel are made from some kinda bone or something that is cracking and falling apart...not really sure. I'll post a pic sometime, I'm pretty sure I have one on my comp somewhere...if not, I'll just take a new one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked old stuff. I think mostly because of what you describe...it gives us a look back at how things used to be and where we came from. Definitely post a pic of the reel you found if you get a chance.
Bass Addict

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool stuff dawg. I bet those setups brought a ton of joy to some ones life. If only the rods could talk.

Justin
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DirtyDawg10- Here are a couple pics of that antique Shakespeare reel I was telling you about. I'm pretty sure it still works...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks for posting the pics.
billybass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since were talking about some old stuff.
When i was 12 or 13 i was at a tagsale and bought a lure for 50cents
it came in a box and looked neat and i could tell it was older, I have always
kept it around and never used it ...just recently going threw stuff i ran into it ..And now being 28 it intrested me and wanted to find out more.
The company is creek chub lures out of Indiana the lure was made in 1931
and on the market for a 1.00 then ...its in the orignal box with a indentifcation card and intructions ,the lure is called the FAMOUS PIKIE MINNOW..Got a print out of a 1932 artical out of there catolog..and it showed a man with 5 huge northerns between 2 trees he had all 5 fish with a stick threw there gills hanging in the air between the trees and the artical says 5 northerns caught on FAMOUS PIKIE MINNOW....i said wow, now im tempted to line it up and toss it,,,,but wont,,,,,,,I am going to try to get a couple pictures up
Old Mud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff guys, needless to say i like "Old Stuff" about everything i have is OLD !! i especially like "Old Wood" Very Happy Embarassed Laughing Laughing Laughing

Lures. Mr. Green

All that truly matters in the end is that you LOVED !!!!
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billybass wrote:
Since were talking about some old stuff.
When i was 12 or 13 i was at a tagsale and bought a lure for 50cents
it came in a box and looked neat and i could tell it was older, I have always
kept it around and never used it ...just recently going threw stuff i ran into it ..And now being 28 it intrested me and wanted to find out more.
The company is creek chub lures out of Indiana the lure was made in 1931
and on the market for a 1.00 then ...its in the orignal box with a indentifcation card and intructions ,the lure is called the FAMOUS PIKIE MINNOW..Got a print out of a 1932 artical out of there catolog..and it showed a man with 5 huge northerns between 2 trees he had all 5 fish with a stick threw there gills hanging in the air between the trees and the artical says 5 northerns caught on FAMOUS PIKIE MINNOW....i said wow, now im tempted to line it up and toss it,,,,but wont,,,,,,,I am going to try to get a couple pictures up

I have some vintage wooden creek chub lures on ebay right now...hard to find info on them, but I've been doing a lot of research in the past week, so I may be able to help you determine if it's collectible or not. One of mine sold for $4.80 and I was pretty pissed because it was in good shape and I would have kept it if I knew it would sell for so little. The "pikie finish" is very common. Value depends on the quality/rarity.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360249341043&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I like that lure TK. Too bad it didn't sell for more...it was definitely worth more than that from what I can see.
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Grandmother passed away earlier in the year and my Mom has been going through her house cleaning it out. She came across my Grandfather's old tackle box. In it I found what looks like an old fly fishing reel. I didn't find any markings on it except for an "IV" not sure if that was a reel company or a type of reel. Thought I'd post a pic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: