CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Old Saybook next week, Recommended spots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hzlntz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Old Saybook next week, Recommended spots Reply with quote

The wife and I are spending a couple days in Old Saybrook, i want to a little bit of fishing in. I was planning on going to the DEEP docks, but from what i have been reading on here it is not a favorite spot for many but its the only spot in that area i know of, so does anyone have any other recommendations as to where in that area i would have better luck? I really don't care what I'm fishing for since i just catch and release i just enjoy fishing.
RobO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Justin Solak stated in a post a couple of days ago, which I think is great advice....

All depends on what you're trying to catch... But here's a few areas you can try:

DEEP Pier in Old Lyme. Right off rt 156. Mostly blues and stripers here. Snapper blues in late summer to fall. Hickory shad as well and the occasional fluke and catfish. Get out as FAR as you can when chucking bait., because most of the pier is shallow til you get out a ways. Try to get toward the end, Closer to the channel and away from all the snags towards the bridge.

Rocky Neck state park. From what I can remember, there's a jetty you can fish off. Haven't been there in years, but i know there's a charge to get in. Also right off ft 156. Blues toward fall, stripers, fluke, porgies, and the occasional blackfish. Sand sharks at night.

Niantic River by the Blackhawk. Right off rt 156 before the draw bridge. On the inside of the river you can fish off the pier. Stripers, the ooccasional blue, fluke, hickory shad in the fall, and blackfish around the rocks. I hear they re-opened the beach side, but friday thru sunday there's a charge. Stripers, blues toward the fall, hickory shad in the fall at the right time, fluke, and sand sharks at night.

Jordan Cove in Waterford. Also called Dock Rd or Pleasure Beach. You can fish off the rocks, but respect the signs. There's not a lot of fishing room here due to private property, but the fishing can be good. Porgies dunkin worms and squid, blackfish, stripers, fluke, blues toward fall. Blitzes aren't uncommon here in the fall and the occasional false albies come through as well as snapper blues.

These are all well known spots. Great spots to start. And you shouldn't have any problem looking them up if you need directions. You can also stop at Hillyers in Waterford, which is right behind sunset rib in waterford. You can see the restaurant from the draw bridge on 156, usually with the wacky inflatable arm waving tube man on the roof. Good luck to you.
_________________ Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't have said it better myself Laughing

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
brian2234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Was in niantic by the RR bridge on the new jetty couple days ago caught2fluke and a sea robin fishing seems to be slow there right now only person that day twho caught something
brian2234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And was using squid strips and whole squid
brian2234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And was using squid strips and whole squid
avidangler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in Old Saybrook there's a dog park next to the Dock-&-Dine restaurant.There are a couple of benches there if you feel like parking your butt and fishing.There you are about 50 feet from the channel and closer to the mouth of the CT River.I've been there when someone caught a huge carp on regular garden worms.Stripers,blues and fluke can be had there as well.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: