CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: OT: Building a Bass Boat...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedDeath58

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: OT: Building a Bass Boat... Reply with quote

I've always been stuck on the shore, not having a boat. I recently read an article on how to turn a Jon Boat into a Bass boat. I thought this would be nice and would give me a completely new way of fishin the lakes.
Has anyone does this before? The total cost for conversion looked around $2000. Any thoughts???
cobalt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo, if you have 2k already; keep saving. Surf craigslist and you'll eventually find a great deal on a full sized bass boat for under 5k.
lookn4bass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another option is looking for an used canoe/kayak. i always see canoes on the side or back of houses that are never used...

in fact, i have a decent one (old town discovery 16'), old town powerpaddle trolling motor and with a home made bracket sitting under my deck that hasn't been used in over a year that i may consider selling. now that i have a kayak, i don't use the canoe...even though the canoe is easier to fish from.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon boats are quite "fishable" even without any converting,...so if you can find one in your budget, you should definitely snag it! I fished out of a little aluminum boat that i picked up for less than $1500 including an old motor. I put a small Minn Kota trolling motor on it and I was "good to go"!!

Was it as nice as my Skeeter,..well, no,... but I still had a lot of fun fishing from it and definitely caught plenty of bass! I eventually sold it 3 years later for the same price I paid,...so how can you beat that! Cool
MarkO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site might help:

http://www.tinboats.net/
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red,

I did over a jon boat, I did everthing myself and it came out real nice. I recently sold it.

I started on another one for my son, which he just took to finish it.

I think there great fun. Like Mark said "Is it as nice as the Skeeter?" NO. but the jon boat can go places my Skeeter can't.

Like Scoville Res.

Just my 2 cents, definately worth doing..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Mark & Ron said. I did the same thing and now have a 12 foot Tracker to use in skinny water where I would not put my 21 foot Skeeter.
RedDeath58

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: