CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Outboard Trim Issue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Outboard Trim Issue Reply with quote

Today when I was on the water I trimmed my motor up and down no problem. I started to ride out into the river with no problems. Then when I got to my fishing spot, I cut the motor like I usually do and tried to trim it up and couldn't...

All I hear is a click, and it doesn't move up. I thought it might be the pump BUT it trims down. When I hit down, it makes the normal noise and tries to go down. Obviously I can't go down any farther...

Anyone know what the cause might be? When I got home I took the cowling off and I saw a little black box towards the back. When trying to trim it up I hear a one time click each time. Was told thats the relay, but not sure what to do and really don't feel like towing it down to Meriden to the shop..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First check the obviouse......Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Make sure you have B+ at the solenoid
hoppy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your relays
x182dan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is clicking then it sounds like the relay is working? What is the motor? I have a johnson v4 that sometimes gets stuck(2-3 times a year maybe) I would take the cowl off and literally knock on the black box and it would instantly work after that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x182dan wrote:
if it is clicking then it sounds like the relay is working? What is the motor? I have a johnson v4 that sometimes gets stuck(2-3 times a year maybe) I would take the cowl off and literally knock on the black box and it would instantly work after that.

It's a 93 Johnson 90HP v4. When I took the cowling off and opened the box, I can hear the relays clicking when I press the trim up and down. I find it odd that it goes down but doesn't even budge up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the relays, and switched them around. Looks like one is bad. Thanks for everyone's help on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: