CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Peco Lure Arrived Today
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Peco Lure Arrived Today Reply with quote

Purchased a Scum Frog in the newer mustard color a few days ago and it arrived today.

Question I have is what is a good retrieve on top of thick weeds and around edges of lilies?
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always stuck with a steady, slow retrieve when using a soft plastic frog. It works well for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow and steady

i also like to hop/glide/and slide it on top of pads then jump it off and let it hang for a minute - just work it like a frog!

i still gotta get a bigfoot scum before the snow falls - 1st year using frogs and man its a blast
jomonkey527

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing you guys talking about frogs so often, I hit Dick's yesterday and picked up some Zoom horny toads.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jomonkey527 wrote:
Seeing you guys talking about frogs so often, I hit Dick's yesterday and picked up some Zoom horny toads.

Those are still my favorite soft plastic frog. Try using them with 3/0 or 4/0 EWG (extra wide gap) offset shank worm hooks. Wait two seconds before reeling in any slack and setting the hook by raising your rod tip hard. Hopefully, all of this rain has helped the topwater bite.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some luck with the ribbit frogs, they have paddle feet that act like a buzzbait when you retrieve it on the surface, and the legs really have a nice action under the surface. A slow steady retrieve has produced hits on the top, with some pauses and a "pop" around the edges of cover to draw some attention. If I dont get any topwater hits I swim it over the lillies and let it fall into any holes and give it a twitch or two, moving it from hole to hole. If the bass hit it on top and miss it, you can play wounded/stunned frog and let it sink down twitching it a few times the bass may come back to finish the job. Have had so much fun with the frogs, hope you have good luck with them as well.

PB : 34" Northen Pike 13# Bantam Lake.
jomonkey527

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
jomonkey527 wrote:

Those are still my favorite soft plastic frog. Try using them with 3/0 or 4/0 EWG (extra wide gap) offset shank worm hooks. Wait two seconds before reeling in any slack and setting the hook by raising your rod tip hard. Hopefully, all of this rain has helped the topwater bite.

Will do. I also like the Rage Tail creature bait. I won them on a Facebook contest. The bass hit them hard, but I find the legs to be ripped off easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: