CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Pequonnock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Pequonnock Reply with quote

Woke up around 8:30am Wednesday and decided to head out later before the rain started. NWS was calling for showers to begin around 1pm.

This time I went to the Pequonnock at Beardsley Park. As I was riding my bike through Beardsley Park I saw the calmer areas of the Pequonnock were frozen solid. When the stretch of the Pequonnock from the protected pond up to the bend is locked up with ice, that tells you we've been having a very cold winter.

Arrived at the ballfields around 10am to find water running nicely. Lures I played with included yellow perch Husky Jerk HJ-6, 1/8 ounce Panther Martin, brown trout Flat Rap FLR-6, and slowly bottom bounced a 1/8 ounce Bass Pro Shops marabou.

I was surprised to never see a redbreast, rock bass, or small largemouth look at the marabou, cause I could see it in the clear water as I slowly worked it on the bottom.

Later I headed up to check out Twin Brooks and see if there was any open water in certain areas. As I was heading up there is when it started to drizzle. Got to the entrance to Twin Brooks finding the town never plowed the road that goes through there.

Once I started heading back home is when the rain started to come down heavily. NWS was wrong with the timing of the rain.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never see ANY panfish in the streams in winter. I am surprised you expected to.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess they swim downstream to the calmer area and into Bunnells Pond instead of hanging out in the areas I catch them at in the spring and fall. But I wonder if they're able to make it over very shallow rocky areas when the water is running low like it was before it started getting snowy and rainy, unlike trout and herring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: