CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: PICKEREL in the CT. River??? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esox CT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: PICKEREL in the CT. River??? Reply with quote

Confused Confused Has anyone been catching chain pickerel in the river? I've caught 3, seen a friend catch one, and my brother has also caught a few. I assume they randomly find there way into the river from a tributary. They wouldn't stock pickerel as they do pike, would they? I just hope they don't thrive. Hopefully they become food, and not steal food from other predatory species. The ones I have seen aren't very big, maybe 12" or less. AND YES THEY ARE PICKEREL, NOT PIKE. THEY HAVE THE BLACK MARK UNDER THE EYE, ETC.

Tributaries and Spots on CT. River where pickerel are present (as far as I know)

Pattaconk Brook
Itchy River
Hamburg Cove
A marina in Chester that will remain nameless
JohnS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup pickeral are in the river....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find it odd that all the years I"ve been fishing the river and this is the first year that I've caught pickerel. That "Marina that shall remain nameless" is the first time I've ever seen them in abundance in the river. Hamburg has some here and there.
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no you are keeping the pickeral spot a secret??? Darnit!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Esox CT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, actually this marina is infamous for a different species. There's 3 marinas in Chester, take your pick... Cool

Hey BoSox, how come no one else can spell pickerel right??
slimecoat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that most of the pickeral and pike have already spawned. They spawn in much colder water than Bass do. They could have been in a funk from all the expelled energy. You should have offered them a cigarette and a towel to clean up the mess. Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those slime darts definately thrive in the river. I've seen many in the 24"+ class. Even though if "the marina that shall remain nameless" is the one I think it is, I 've hooked up with everything but a pickeral in it.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that pickeral are native to just about any waters in CT,..rivers included! If you haven't caught any previously, it's probably just because the pike were keeping them away!! Razz
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Skeeter wrote:
Oh no you are keeping the pickeral spot a secret??? Darnit!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I don't want to "Marina X" this thing, but it is a private marina, and the only reason that we are allowed to fish there is because we have a good connection with the owners and other employees there. And it's way more than pickerel, in the 16 years I've been fishing that place, I've caught just about everything there. It's just odd that it took 16 years to locate a pickerel in there.
Esox CT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just4fun wrote:
I think that pickeral are native to just about any waters in CT,..rivers included! If you haven't caught any previously, it's probably just because the pike were keeping them away!! Razz

Let's hope that pike trend continues. Between stripers, largies, smallies, and pike, we don't need anymore predatory species in large numbers. I say we keep all the pickerel we catch in the river and use them as cutbait for catfishing Twisted Evil
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it's illegal to use them as bait as well as most other gamefish, if you really want to call pickerel a game fish.
Esox CT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, then I'll pretend its sushi if DEP rolls up. LOL
Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI,No such thing as a private marina on the river,nobody can own the water,only the land that surrounds it....besides i most liley have fished it anyways with tralli...
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well seeing as how we do not have boats, then to us it is private because we are fishing from land.
cobalt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught a monster slimey in chapmans last week. 26+ inches
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: