CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Pickerel Lake 05/14
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Pickerel Lake 05/14 Reply with quote

After fishing Upper Moodus Reservoir during the morning, I made TurtleKiss (aka Kira) leave so that I could satisfy my craving for some BBQ. I promised her that I would get her a bass:

A Bass Ale, that is. Laughing After her chain pickerel-filled morning, she still needed to catch a largemouth bass, so we decided to go to Pickerel Lake. And by "we", I mean Kira. Wink My only other experience at Pickerel Lake was a few years ago, when I fished one of the very early season tournaments organized by flippy (aka Jim aka nories). I got skunked, so, yeap, I really never wanted to go back there. Laughing But we did:

We launched my boat, The Other Woman, Too, at 2:15 pm. The air temperature was 70 degrees when we launched, but dropped to 64 degrees by the time we left at 6:00 pm. The wind blew out of the south at seven to 11 miles per hour. The weather forecast of "intermittent clouds" finally manifested itself as total cloudiness. Rolling Eyes The water temperature ranged from 67 to 70 degrees! We headed for the shallow cove in the southwest corner. I continued to throw the wacky-rigged Green Pumpkin/Red Senko that had gotten me a couple of largemouth bass in the morning at Upper Moodus Reservoir, while Kira went with the White Midnight Special spinnerbait and a Watermelon Craw Zoom Horny Toad that had attracted only chain pickerel. Well, the wacky Senko still worked at Pickerel Lake:

After I boated a couple of largemouth bass with the wacky Senko, I figured that Kira might finally switch to one. But she's stubborn and didn't switch until after she finally caught one with the Horny Toad:

Interestingly, we spotted a dog that liked to point at fish in the water:

I ended up catching about a dozen largemouth bass with the wacky Senko and Kira reluctantly caught a couple with one, too Laughing:

A small club tourney began at 5:00 pm, so we took off at 6:00 pm. I'd bet they did pretty well, because, although we didn't spot any largemouth bass on beds, the bite seemed to get better and better as the sun went behind the clouds and then began to drop in the sky.

It's really killing me that I'm going to be out of town for the next week, just as the largemouth bass and striped bass bites are starting to heat up. Hopefully, I'll catch a 1,000 pound marlin on Monday, when I'll be fishing off the coast of Hawaii. That would really help me feel better about it. Cool

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like a day of fishing and some Hilltop BBQ!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Fished Pickerel Lake Two Years Ago Reply with quote

Happy for you!
I was there two years ago in July.
Me and a buddy of mine landed some largemouth and pickerel in the late morning.
The catch of the day was 6.5 lb largemouth which I hooked with green pumpkin colored 5" senko. The fish didn't even fight, thought I snagged a wet sweatshirt.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger bass never fight, there usually too fat and lazy, Very Happy

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anointed130 wrote:

Just like I say to other surf casters about big stripers vs schoolies between 20 and 30 inches. Crazy teenager vs drunk old man Laughing
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
anointed130 wrote:

Just like I say to other surf casters about big stripers vs schoolies between 20 and 30 inches. Crazy teenager vs drunk old man Laughing

i dont know mike i had some on last fall that were pulling like freight trains. I lost one that was unstoppable on my 11' rod with 50lb braid drag down all the way.
Catch those fish when the water is cool and they will put up a serious battle. Catch them in warm water and they become tired easily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: