CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Pike fishing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjpd_00

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Pike fishing Reply with quote

I have a few questions about fishing for pike this time of year. I am going to Mansfield and fishing from a boat. What would be the best bait to use this time of year Im thinking about gettin shiners because that's what Ive used from shore the couple times I fished for them on the CT river. I don't have to many artificials for pike but I am open for suggestions. If I use shiners whats the best way to rig them? Thanks in advance
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For artificials you can throw a white or black spinnerbait, and they love a white or pearl Super Fluke or Houdini shad. Don't forget to throw an early morning pop R or sammy type topwater bait. Sammy's get expensive to be throwing at pike though!

I don't fish with live bait ever, so I'm no help to you there.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the quick reply I have some kind of super fluke bait that ive never used before I think its in baby bass color but I'll give that a shot along with the shiners...thanks again for the help
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything big! I like using large jerk baits, anything that has a lot of violent action. Spinner baits work well, but a trailer hook is a must. The problem with a spinner bait though, is that a steel leader is tough to rig because it slides around. Large swim baits will work too. Most will tell you to find weed lines for pike, but you're probably not going to catch the big one your looking for there. You'll find them, but if you want the big guys, look for rocky points that are adjacent to deep water. Anything that allows them to hide and be able to ambush prey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
I'm having very good time! Good time for arr!
SenkoBandit

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I first started to fish for pike at mansfield. I would slow troll large shiners no wait just a short wire leader .the trick is to go just fast enough to keep it out of the weeds.boat ramp side only.never tried it on the onther side.I also would start the early morning with a top water of some sort.hope that helps.let us know how you do
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody used those BIG rapala shad raps? I bought one, used it a couple of times where I saw pike, but had no luck. Tried all sorts of retrieves but nothing. They seem very heavy under the water because the lip treads a lot of water. They definitely require a heavy action rod.

cjpd_00

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys. I went there friday with my buddy and fished out of my crawdad and the battery for the trolling motor is half shot so I didint want to go to far from the launch incase it died. since it was kind of windy we decided to anchor out and fish with shiners. We went to the river on the right on the boat launch side and the only thing I caught was a perch. After we ran out of shiners we ended up going under the tunnel and fishing the other side for bass but before we got to the tunnel we saw two guys launching jetskis so I got kinda pissed about that since they where speeding back and forth on the boat launch side and ended up calling the dep tip hotline and they ended up sending an officer over not sure if he got them but I know he was there. anyways I ended up catching a few bass on the other side so atleast I was able to salvage the day. Hopefully next time I go I'll be able to catch a few pike thanks again for your help
SenkoBandit

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where were you?
cjpd_00

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mansfield
BoSox46GSR

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CT River is always good for a pike. Especially now, try to find some backwater. It might be a little tough with just a trolling motor, but you might be able to launch in a cove or something.

slimecoat

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mansfield has a 10 mph speedlimit, so I'm sure the jetskiers were given a ticket, if the DEP officer got there before they pulled out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: