CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Pike / Quaddick Res.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therieldeal

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Pike / Quaddick Res. Reply with quote

Has anyone here successfully fished for Pike in Quaddick, not including ice fishing? I’d love to catch some of these guys this summer, but I’m not sure where to look for them. I’ve been catching good sized pickerel regularly while bass fishing with texas rigged yum dingers, not sure if pike hang out in the same areas though… or if they would even hit a lure like this. The pickerel are so common I got sick of the bite-offs and started using a wire leader! Anyway it’s tough to use what I would consider to be “typical” pike lures here (such as big inline spinners, big spoons, and big crankbaits) because the weeds are so thick. This is especially true of the upper part of the lake, which I prefer due to the lack of power boats (no real boat launch). Treble hooks seem to get snagged almost immediately, on every cast. Even casting out into the middle of “open water” I still get snagged on big clumps of weeds floating just below the surface. I may try swapping some of my hooks out for singles with wire weed-guards, if that’s what it takes!

TL;DR – Where can I catch pike in Quaddick this time of year, and what lures should I try (in heavy weeds)?
DaveyDave

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its too warm for pike leave them alone and target them in the fall once it cools down!!!
Chances are if u do get one its DEAD to much acid amd warm water is deadly to pike
just my .02 cents
Megaman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: 2 cents on Pike Reply with quote

Never fished Quaddick.. done my homework with PIKE...got to hit them post spawn when they are still in shallows(April, May)_...otherwise i agree with above post...large Shiners or .large spinnerbaits ie 1/2oz- 1oz is what guy at CT outfitters recommended to me....look for old weeds/grass above water = hiding spots Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still catch them if you can find the coldest water in the lake. This is usually from a feeder stream or a freshwater spring. I have a cove that I catch them in all summer long and the water is only 3' deep in most spots. There is a spring in the back end of the cove , so the pike stack up in there during warm water months.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fished for bass a lot at quaddick during the summer and if i were you go to stump pond as soon as possible, alll the way to the end by the speedway if its not complety filled with weeds yes and throw a spinnerbait. I can almost guarantee you will get a pike. and another place to go would be on the opposite side of the lake where the other bridge is and there is a huge rock formation and a lot of pike come off there.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern pike like big inline bucktail spinners, too. Try a Mepps Aglia with a big number five blade and a bucktail treble hook on it. I like the a brown bucktail, which Mepps calls a "squirrel" bucktail.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnybass860 wrote:
I have fished for bass a lot at quaddick during the summer and if i were you go to stump pond as soon as possible, alll the way to the end by the speedway if its not complety filled with weeds yes and throw a spinnerbait. I can almost guarantee you will get a pike. and another place to go would be on the opposite side of the lake where the other bridge is and there is a huge rock formation and a lot of pike come off there.

Excellent, thank you for the tips! I have fished stump pond a few times recently (caught a 4 lb bass back there the other day), but I’ve yet to row my butt alllll the way to the end. The weeds & lily pads are coming up fast, but as of Monday it was still navigable. I was actually going to try from the bridge by the rocks yesterday afternoon (with the storm nearby I wasn’t too keen on going out in the boat!), but it was already packed with people when I drove by. Hopefully I’ll have some time this weekend to get out there!

Flipper - Quaddick is fed by 5 Mile River in the stump pond area he described above. Perhaps this is why the pike hang out there?

According to the internets white spinnerbaits work well, so I'll pick up one of those...

Still searching for some toothy critters big enough to be worth weighing...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: