CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Poppers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Poppers Reply with quote

im a huge topwater guy, and my favorite topwater lure is the popper mainly the hula popper. But i have yet to land a pig on one, i have caught fish on my storm chug bug {which i highly recommend} and my rapala skitter pop in the shad color. I just wanted to know what poppers you guys perfer and had luck on, and what colors/sizes to look for, thanks again guys.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lucky craft sammy 100 is my go to bait. Or an original Zara Spook. If I'm fishing really thick mats or pads, it's the spro bronzeye frog.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea something massive spanked my bronze eye popper frog on sat, but i was to quick to set the hook and ripped it out of its mouth
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rubber frog is always my first choice near shore/vegetation, but Heddon torpedoes (the bigger the better) have been the most productive for me on calm, open water.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
toptech

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spooks all the way if you know how to work it. I love the action of spro frogs but I have not had a good hit to hook ratio. I would much rather fish soft plastic frogs with a EWG hook through them.

The Lucky Craft Gunfish is a dirty popper.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurtleKiss wrote:
Heddon torpedoes (the bigger the better) have been the most productive for me on calm, open water.

What Kira said. Don't know if it was a full moon the night before and all the planets lined up but the Heddon Torpedo holds my record for # of bass I ever caught in 8 hour day of fishing.......110! Very Happy Was having such a great day that I even cut it out of my leg that day because it was the only color of the Torpedo I had. The only reason I stopped at 110 is because the 111th hit and broke my line. Went back the following weekend and there it was floating along the shore. Took THAT lure snipped off the hooks and it now sits retired in my work office. It deserved that much. Very Happy

Jim
Phish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few Lobina Rico poppers that are great producers. They come in 2 3/8 and 2 7/8" length. Nice assortment of colors. I have used the ghost, albino and lightning shad. I through it on braid (as I do most of my topwater stuff because it floats) and always catch fish on this popper. I haven't caught anything huge yet. The new Ish Monroe Snag Proof frogs are nice as well, and as far as walking plugs, I love the Reaction Innovations Vixen.
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet, thanks guys for the replies, i got a few heddon torpedos in my tacklebox havent nailed anything on them yet, i rarely if ever have luck on prop baits even though i love using them, anybody ever try the heddon poppers?
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunker Cove wrote:
sweet, thanks guys for the replies, i got a few heddon torpedos in my tacklebox havent nailed anything on them yet, i rarely if ever have luck on prop baits even though i love using them, anybody ever try the heddon poppers?

Only when I've lost my last torpedo.

*~ "Not everything about fishing is noble, reasonable and sane..." -Henry Middleton ~*
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol im starting to see a pattern, i went out to mill pond today and threw everything i had including the torpedo, think im finally getting my grove on with the torpedos, u do a fast or slow retrieve turtle kiss?
Just4fun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the box, hookup ratios are not great with a lot of spro-style frogs. If you take two pairs of pliars and bend the hooks slightly outward,..it'll help significantly. You want to bend them so the points stay just slightly out from the body,..maybe 1/16th to 1/8th inch. At that distance the lure will still be pretty weedless, but it''l hook the fish much better! Cool
TurtleKiss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunker Cove wrote:
lol im starting to see a pattern, i went out to mill pond today and threw everything i had including the torpedo, think im finally getting my grove on with the torpedos, u do a fast or slow retrieve turtle kiss?

Slow stop & go usually ends up working best for me but you gotta find out what the fish want. If they're hitting fast-retrieve torpedoes then try a buzzbait too.

Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys for the replies and im gonna try and bend them hooks on the spro frog, hopefully i will set the hook on a pig! and thanks turtle kiss for the advice on the torpedos
Jerryinct

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the luckycraft g splash 80 Nice feathered rear trebble and sharp gamagatsu hooks plus a rattle. The spook is my 2nd favorite along with the lucky craft sammy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: