CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Portable Fish Finder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpucci

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Portable Fish Finder Reply with quote

I have been mulling over getting a portable fish finder for the canoe and/or kayak.

Has anyone purchased one?
what did you get?
How do you like it?
How was installation? easy, difficult....
How about small boat mouting?
Can it easily move from one craft to another?
How heavy is it?
How long does the battery last?
Would you recommend the unit you got or would youu have rather gotten another unit/brand?

Thanks in advance...

Rich
slim2043

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also interested...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

NEW! ->Just came out (April of this year!) -> "Garmin echo 300c" -> (dual beam color FF).
Purchased thru internet only "Sails Marine" here in Ct. at a great price! ($219.00)

1500 ft freshwater/600 ft saltwater.
Great for all our Ct. waters which don't go much deeper that 120 ft.
Small, portable, rugged, easy mounting, waterproof, 3.5 inch screen, + lots of installed additional applications.
Bought a very small 12 volt battery ($20.00) from my local model shop here in Winsted.
Power lasts for days.

I Absolutely Love this Unit Exclamation

Google up "Garmin" and check it out under fishfinders!

Best regards,
SeaDog1

Last edited by SeaDog1 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Humminbird 385ci Combo Kayak mounted in my Hobie Pro Angler:

http://store.humminbird.com/products/356206/385ci_Combo_Kayak

It works great. The transducer is mounted in-hull, so there's nothing to snag or damage outside the hull. However, it's not portable from one boat to another, well, unless you were to install another transducer and display mount in each boat in which you'd want to use it.

I also have a Humminbird 798ci HD SI Combo:

http://store.humminbird.com/products/409964/798ci_HD_SI_Combo

Yeah, it's overkill for a canoe or kayak, but it's really neat. I haven't used it much because I haven't mounted the external transducer properly, at least not yet. For this reason, my opinion is that an in-hull tranducer is the way to go in a canoe or kayak.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used a bunch of fish finders I will tell you that I prefer Lowrance. Hummingbirds are nice too.. I also used a freshwater model Feruno and several Garmins, While they are great for the ocean they are garbage for fresh water.

Eagle is part of Lowrance and they are decent too.

Keep an eye out for the sales...Fall is coming and retailers are looking to get rid of them.
fish4fun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a hummingbird pirahna for the last few years,and it's still going strong. I bought a 2 dollar eight pack AA battery holder at Radio Shack, and can get about a dozen three hour trips between charges. The inexpensive units like mine don't draw alot of juice. The holder fits in a small odd lot freshness keeper box with a notch so the wires don't get pinched . I also just put a cup of water in the hull of my kayak, a SOT, and the transducer is able to shoot right thru the hull, and I can remove the whole unit from my ram mount when I'm done fishing. If you search you tube you can find alot of install videos like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq1Dj5MrDYA Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: