CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Post Frontal Pattern
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Post Frontal Pattern Reply with quote

Saturday I went to Twin Brooks Park not knowing what to expect due to it being post frontal conditions. Brought my 6' Triforce/Fierce 3000 8lb Sufix Pro Mix setup with a variety of light action lures and medium sized lures.

Arrived at the first stop around 3:45pm. Conditions were partly cloudy with steady 5 to 10mph NW winds.

Started by playing with the glass minnow Husky Jerk HJ-6 and had the bluegills interested but not being as aggressive as they were at Beardsley before the frontal system.

Went to where a brook feeds into the pond I was at and found many bluegills and redbreasts with a few smaller bass, bullgills, and big seeds.

Switched over to a Mister Twister Nymph in the color pumpkin pepper. Had it rigged weightless on a hook meant for livelining small shiners. That soft plastic had fish going crazy! Compared it with a 1" soft plastic crayfish rigged the same way but saw fish from dinky bass to redbreasts of all sizes attacking the Mister Twister much more.

Retrieve was slowly reeling while lightly twitching on the surface or just beneath the surface. Kept trying to get at a monster seed but it seemed to be a smarty. Had 2 perch stop by but they would get real close before turning back even if I lightly twitched it on the bottom in front of them. Landed 3 bluegills and 1 redbreast. Had 1 bass just under keeper hit the lure a number of times but it seemed the hook was too small.

Later I moved on and tried throwing a few other lures. Slow retrieve with a Rooster Tail and brook trout X-Rap XR-4 had the gills, redbreasts, and smaller bass insterested, esp the Rooster Tail. Landed 1 bluegill and 1 dinky bass.

As the evening progressed, I hit a few other spots before turning to topwater at the larger pond. Landed 2 bass from 1 to 1 1/2 pounds and had a 3+ pound pickerel follow all on a bullfrog Baby Torpedo.

Hit the road just before 8pm.

Small, slow, and steady was the pattern earlier in the afternoon and saw many cookie cutters leaping out of the water for dragonflies. Something imitating a shiner, bass, bluegill, or insect no bigger than 2" seemed to be the hit before the bigger fish woke up for the evening topwater bite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: