CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: power pro braided line on a spinning reel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: power pro braided line on a spinning reel Reply with quote

i have heard various things on fishing power pro on spinning reels. everything from braid is not ment for spinning reels, to using braid with a flurocarbon leader for dropshotting and various kinds of lures. i have used braid on spinning reels in the past and haven't liked it too much however you can't argue with strenght and sensitivity. back the to drop shotting setup. this was said because when using a spool with just flurocarbon the line twist and needs to be changed often. when backing with braid is very sensitivy strong and lightweight.

any opinions on these "rumors"
Justin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of it has to do with personal preference. Me personally, I would rather just buy better line versus having an extra knot (breaking point) in my line. I know a lot has to do with the type of knot used, but it's also something that can catch on your guides and shorten your cast. Plus, the braid can gouge your reel and guides if you don't use the right equipment.

As for the line twisting, that's an easy fix...just cut your hook off and let the line out into the water while you move away from it in the boat...it will untwist itself in the water.
WishinIWasFishin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have powerpro on both my spinning and casting reels... On the spinning reel, I have power pro and when I do dropshotting, tie a clasp swivel on to the braid and then attatch a pre-made drop shot rig. My drop shot rig uses mono (the mono I used to use on my spinning reels) with a regular swivel at one end and a hook X inches from the bottom. I then use a drop shot weight on the end. I use the ones (courtesy of shortypowers) that you just wedge the the line in. Then you can adjust the distance from your hook to the weight to control how far off the bottom you are.

I highly recommend the made in the USA roboworms available at Dicks in the "aaron's magic" color, also per shortypowers recommendations.

Hope this helps...just one way to do it.
Old standby push button
TackleMaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: I was a huge fan of Power Pro Reply with quote

However, I am going to give Sufix a whirl. Power Pro was used on all of my spinnig Reels and the occasional wind knot would happen However, I did determine that most of those knots came from an unseen loop getting on the reel before reeling up then on the next cast POOF the line would screw up. One guy in Milford Bobby J filled a spool one time for me and shot it with just a small amount of WD40 and it pretty much cured all proplems. I love Braid on my reels. I just want to Try Sufix it is supposed to be much better. there is my 2 cents on the topic. I will never go back to Mono for spinning reels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: