CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Private lake 1/19
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Private lake 1/19 Reply with quote

yes'm. ice on the shady side is a steady 4" Very Happy ten feet from shore first hole first drop landed me a firm 3 llbs bass. i went to just check the ice conditions but brought the auger, an ultralight, and a few small jigheads. i had some frozen ground cucumbers i found at an asian supermarket this past summer and that's what i hooked onto the jighead. anyways... the ice is good and will only get better i will be there tomorrow, monday, maybe tuesday, thursday, and next weekend for sure.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one of the thriving population of browns in Job's I got through the ice 2 winters ago. This place hasn't been stocked in ... a hundred years??? notice no red spots. the next pic shows the color of the filets so you know its no stocky
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red meat = native!
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The color is from high levels of astaxanthin in the fish's diet. Brown trout were introduced here from Europe a loooong time ago so they're not technically native. How long they have been in this particular body of water is anyone's guess, but these silver/gold w black spots trout have their own thing going on that's for sure.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbojonez wrote:
The color is from high levels of astaxanthin in the fish's diet. Brown trout were introduced here from Europe a loooong time ago so they're not technically native. How long they have been in this particular body of water is anyone's guess, but these silver/gold w black spots trout have their own thing going on that's for sure.

I guess you would call it a wild trout then. I know about the Europe introduction.

I've caught browns and brookies that have red meat from certain rivers that hold wild trout. Other rivers I've caught browns and brookies at haven't shown much in red meat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: