CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Ice Fishing
Viewing Topic: Propane Heaters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave N.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Propane Heaters Reply with quote

Hey gang just wondering if anyone uses those portable propane heaters.

Wifey wants to give it a go this season Rolling Eyes but I want to get a heater for the shanty.(6x12)

Any particular brand that anyone can recommend would help. Smile
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard of one thats red and i think its called mrbuddy or mrheater or something like that. I think its one of the only legit icefishing heaters for a good price. I use a coleman heater thats for cooking things when camping. Its not meant to heat a shanty but its the same exact thing as the mrheater thing except you can cook some hotdogs and hot cocoa on the ice while staying warm Smile.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeap, I just saw the Mr. Heater Buddy and Big Buddy portable heaters in the last flyer I got from Cabela's. They run on one pound propane cylinders. I was considering getting one, but have decided to man up and live without it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, picked up a heater from Home Depot similar to the one PECo described for $84 and also runs on 1lb canisters. Never even had a shanty till this year but been in 'em before and what a difference to get out of the wind. Add a lil heat and whooohooo gonna be like fishing in the bahamas Very Happy
fish4fun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the mr. buddy, and I like it alot. Easy to light, and it has an automatic shut off if oxygen levels become low. Most propane devices aren't recommended for indoors or small places without alot of ventilation, so this is a nice saftey feature. Also nice to have during cold weather power outages. Although max heat time for the 1 lb. tank is 6 hours on medium, you can buy an adapter to hook up a full size tank for emergencies.
I've only used it once on the ice in a three man ice tent. It was about 10 degrees outside but warm inside on medium setting. I think Dicks has it for part of their black friday sale at 79 dollars.
I just hope it's cold enough this winter to be able to use it. Don't like driving an hour plus to find ice, and only made it out twice last year.
NorthEastFisherman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4fun wrote:
I have the mr. buddy, and I like it alot. Easy to light, and it has an automatic shut off if oxygen levels become low. Most propane devices aren't recommended for indoors or small places without alot of ventilation, so this is a nice saftey feature. Also nice to have during cold weather power outages. Although max heat time for the 1 lb. tank is 6 hours on medium, you can buy an adapter to hook up a full size tank for emergencies.
I've only used it once on the ice in a three man ice tent. It was about 10 degrees outside but warm inside on medium setting. I think Dicks has it for part of their black friday sale at 79 dollars.
I just hope it's cold enough this winter to be able to use it. Don't like driving an hour plus to find ice, and only made it out twice last year.

Trust me you wont be having that thing on for 6 straight hours on medium. Blast it on high for 5 minutes and thatll last you a good hour if you dont open the doors on your shanty.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthEastFisherman wrote:

Trust me you wont be having that thing on for 6 straight hours on medium. Blast it on high for 5 minutes and thatll last you a good hour if you dont open the doors on your shanty.

I agree. I was thinking about the larger tank heating a bedroom overnite during a winter power outage.
TT

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those heaters might have a low oxygen sensor but they don't have a high carbon monoxide sensor. That is what I would be more concerned about.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Yeap, I just saw the Mr. Heater Buddy and Big Buddy portable heaters in the last flyer I got from Cabela's. They run on one pound propane cylinders. I was considering getting one, but have decided to man up and live without it.

I saw the Mr. Heater Portable Buddy on the Cabela's website for only $49.99. It's a reconditioned unit, but for that price, I'll give it a try. If anyone wants to invite me into their shanty, I'll bring heat! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Ice Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: