CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: proper line for topwater fishing?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: proper line for topwater fishing? Reply with quote

i know this may be a green horn retard question, but im just not to sure about what line to use for topwater baits like poppers,prop baits,frogs, and my favorite lure of all, the jitterbug! fluro,mono, or braid? thanks appreciate it alot guys
MikeHoncho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50lb braid for the toad/frog on a mh-h power casting rod. 20lb braid on a spinning rig. Mono for other baits. 8-10lb test on a spinning rod and 12-17lb on a casting rod. Flouro isn't usually a good choice because it sinks. Braid and mono float. That ought to get you in the ball park.... hope that helps.
djmon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though most people use mono for topwater with the exception of braid for frogs and toads, some are now using fluro for top water as well.

Braid/mono float and definatly have a purpose. How ever in some cases such as poppers that fluro creates a stronger plop sound.

Is it needed. No. Recommend, not exactly but depending on how many rods your carrying and what each is spooled with sometimes can cause a dilemma of what limits you feel you have.

My thoughts are as with many aspects of fishing. Personally preference.
Braid with frogs and weeds is just about a must, but there are some guys throwing 20-25lb mono cause they hate braid. Mono for all around top water. Fluro if already spooled can be utilized but only in select cases such as buzz baits and poppers in my experiance.
Bass 4 me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since braid floats and some people call berkley fireline braid, does it float as well?
djmon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the fireline radial braid (green) then that's what I use and it floats. As with the fireline crystal. I'm unsure. I tried it once and it was line using floss to me
Bass 4 me

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking about crystal. Only ONE way to find out Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
stumpy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like braid for most of my topwwaters. Walking baits like spooks I still like copolymer, usually 15# test.
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LC, I use #14lb Spider Wire Fusion, but don't go looking for it because they don't make it anymore. I have a few spools left that I keep locked up safe. I like it because it floats as others have explained is necessary to keep a sammy or spook running high on top of the water.

I use #30 to #50 power pro braid for my froggin in the really thick nasty stuff to avoid break offs from the big girls, and it will cut through just about any vegetation you drag it through.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks guys for all the replies, i usually use braid for just about everything because when i tie a not it stays on their forever lol Also,i usually use 8 to 10 pound test, and when im using a popper or a prop bait i notice i cant get popper to pop right or the prop bait to stay on the surface, idk
slimecoat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monofiliment absorbs water and sinks, DO NOT USE IT FOR TOPWATER BAITS! LOL Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

went fishing at a lake on my girl's place, and nailed a largemouth on a storm chug bug and the biggest black crappie i ever seen on a rapala skitter pop, all on mono line. Also, i wanted to ask, im a big fan of arbogast top water lures, especially the jitterbug and hula popper, i got my two fish on poppers today but got nothing on my bass colored hula popper. Anybody ever have any luck on the hula poppers?
stumpy

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunker Cove wrote:
went fishing at a lake on my girl's place, and nailed a largemouth on a storm chug bug and the biggest black crappie i ever seen on a rapala skitter pop, all on mono line. Also, i wanted to ask, im a big fan of arbogast top water lures, especially the jitterbug and hula popper, i got my two fish on poppers today but got nothing on my bass colored hula popper. Anybody ever have any luck on the hula poppers?

A Black Jitterbug is a very good night time topwater lure. work it very slow. and the bigger ones work better because they cause more of a disturbance.
Lunker Cove

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok thanks for the advice
Jerryinct

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use co-polymer for topwaters.. spooks/ sammys/ g-splash and braid for frogs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: