CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: Quabbin with Paulie 5-26-07, Many pics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Quabbin with Paulie 5-26-07, Many pics Reply with quote

Yo Paulie....... You a member YET?

WOW, where do i begin!!! Its been 2 seasons wishing and wanting, finally i did it. I took the boat i bought not very far from Quabbin to the lake it was rigged for Smile I had a few clues it might be a good time to go and asking a regular confirmed it.

Picked Paulie up in north haven at 4am and took the 2 hour ride to the lake, arriving just after 6am to a long line. I didn't expect the line to fly thru so fast, but it went real fast.

While waiting in line, i noticed many other boats just like mine rigged for this place Smile Some times i feel a little embarrassed with the smaller motor. Kind of like i used to feel towing with an old minivan
Sad ........... NOT THIS DAY, im []D[][]V[][]D[][]\[] Smile

After the line gets half thru, i see this blue tracker several cars back and right away think, HuskyBass? Sure enough, i see him throwing stuff in the boat, rigging his poles and so on Smile
Sooooooooooooooo, i say to Paulie, "cool, we'll just follow him". he he

We get to the booth to pay and stuff, im reading all the signs and this one post reads, "Yes, the fish are on beds" ......... Can you say
GOLD?
Ok, thats really not GOLD. Maybe you can say
Jackpot?

Anyways...
Follow Husky... NOT !!!!! We were launching out and i see him launching to the direction of the other ramp, which takes you to another side you cant get to from each other via boating. We were left wondering, WHY?

According to the map, that other side is smaller, but how small? Welp, by judging from the map, the side we ended up on and how much of it we saw, we wouldn't have seen the entire other end where Husky went either. This place is HUGE.....and i might add, to far from home!

So, some thoughts. This is my DREAM lake. With no development, no pleasure crafts and HP restrictions ..... Its what i dream of

and talk about clear water. oh my

If you have ever been to candlewood (ive only been once and saw very little), imagine IT without anything but woods surrounding it, with nothing bigger than 25hp and no jetski's, and no noise pollution whatsoever, and then multiply the size by as far as you can see ..... Something like that. Its hard to put words to the memories of the visuals. But ill have some photos later, just to help Smile

We ran out from the launch and headed to ......... who the heck knows where we were going. We went into this area not very far, found a couple tiny islands and started throwing stuff. Senko, super fluke, spider jigs and what ever else we thought would be good to try and started catching fish right off the bat!

We caught fish ALL day. There wasnt 15 minutes gone by a fish didnt visit us, and im am not kidding. I must admit here, i did play with more bedding fish than Paulie did, so in turn, i did catch more bedding fish. But listen, those fish were just a fraction of the fish for the day. We caught so many smallies around a pound, we found it just plain silly.

We finlay put the rods down at 6:15pm and headed for the ramp before the lake patrol came to take us by the ears. (Closes at 7pm)

We headed down the road on our way back into the real world while shaking our heads and questioning the day. Unbelievable! !!!

Lots and lots of smaller smallies, but it didnt matter to us, we were having a blast. We did catch some good sized fish though. Im not even going to try and put a number on us here. To much fun to even bother trying to count

A FAT 3.04 smallie

Nice 3.09 largie

Nother good smallie

Paulie with a pretty big pickeral. Dont remember weight, over 3? Paulie?

Fishermens POV

A double. Mines the larger Smile

Paulie sh!tting his pants LMAO

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: location of lake? Reply with quote

Hi Rookie; question in the eleventh picture your holding a pickerl I was wondering what the white slimy stuff floating in the water is? The rest of the lake (by the way where is this place and what is the hp restriction) looks clean. Looks like you caught more fish in a day than I usually catch in a month. Looks like you had a GREAT DAY. A real good report....Joe
Keith T

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on a great day....How much was the Mass license & how much to launch?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report... I love the photos... those are some great smallies

Just one more cast...
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome report Rookie! Looks like you guys were having a blast! Thumbs Up
jon s

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report. good fishing Thumbs Up

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job guys, congrats. Nice report and pics.
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We thought the white stuff on the water was some type of pollen. That is the only place we seen it and it was way in the back of that cove. The far back of the cove was the dirtiest we saw. All that white stuff is floating on the surface. Where it was clear of the white stuff, the water was just as clear as the rest of the place.

We launched from gate 43, which is in Hardwick Mass. Was 109 miles from Milford Ct. See "43" on map, ill link later.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/central/quabbin.htm
Quote:
Quabbin Reservoir is one of the largest man-made public water supplies in the United States. Created in the 1930s by the construction of two huge earthen dams, the reservoir is fed by the three branches of the Swift River, and seasonally by the Ware River. Quabbin's water covers 39 square miles, is 18 miles long and has 181 miles of shoreline. When full, Quabbin holds 412 billion gallons of water.

Quabbin Reservoir 2007 Fishing Guide

One-day Quabbin Fishing Licenses are available for purchase at the boat launch areas for $5.00.

Parking, Regular $2.00/person + $4.00/vehicle

Outboard Motor Size Limits

DCR rental boats are limited to 10 horsepower (hp) maximum.
TWO-STROKE ENGINES - Private boats with two-stroke engines are limited to one-half the Boating Industries of America (BIA) or Outboard Boating Council (OBC) hp rating of the boat up to a maximum of 20 hp.
FOUR-STROKE ENGINES - Private boats with four-stroke engines are limited to one-half the Boating Industries of America (BIA) or Outboard Boating Council (OBC) hp rating of the boat up to a maximum of 25 hp.
Private boats may use two motors provided the total combined horsepower does not exceed the horsepower limits above.
Combined four-stroke and two-stroke engines may not exceed 20 hp total.
25 horsepower two-stroke motors are not allowed.

According to the following map: We launch at gate 43, just above that is the launch. We went to the larger part of the res. Husky went to the north of the launch.
We went to the west, and then north and only made it to about the yellow "T" marked on the east side (see: Sunk Pond). We fished spots while taking very short runs all day. The longest ride was from the farthest north point we made it to, back to the south by the area we started at, and that only took 15 minutes Shocked That tells you we took some VERY short runs to each spot on the way up.

Heres a good map, http://www.mass.gov/dcr/waterSupply/watershed/documents/quabfish.pdf

Keith?
It cost $5 each for the day fishing passes, $4 bucks to park and $2 each to enter.
You thinking of going? I wanna go back this weekend. We heard it would pay off better than this trip! My wife wants to go but im not sure if she is gonna persue the baby sitter. Heck, id like to take fiday off and go on a weekday! I just dont like the gas bill Sad

I took over 100 pictures. I have some paneramic where i just spun taking pictures. I dont think im gonna overlap them and put them together though.
I was going to upload them all, just takes to long doing them all on the gallery web upload page. Thats why i went and tried to use the remote Smile

BTW, gas was $2.99 up there....DOH
Next time i go with only enough fuel to get up there Smile Even though i found it for $3.15 in Milford friday.

Speaking of fuel. I have been watching the milage on the new (to me) tow vehilce. I filled it up friday after work and ran over 300 miles this weekend (ALL TOWING the boat and 99% highway) and im getting over 15mpg. But i still have 3/8ths of a tank left Shocked Im guessing it'll come out something like 17 mpg if i were to finish it off.

I can not wait to go back Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, here. You can also rent boats, even with motors.
They all looked like open 14ft aluminums

2007 Fees:

Boat Rentals - Full Day
Rentals Parking Total
Boat $10.00 $4.00/vehicle $14.00
Boat & Motor $30.00 $4.00/vehicle $34.00

Boat Rentals - Partial Day (after 2 P.M.)

Boat $5.00 $4.00/vehicle $9.00
Boat & Motor $15.00 $4.00/vehicle $19.00

Shore Fishing $4.00/vehicle $4.00
Private Boat Launch Fee
Regular $2.00/person + $4.00/vehicle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that stuff every year on the ponds around by me... I hate it... it always gets twisted up in your line...

Just one more cast...
bassarama

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome report and pictures Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

This one has the potential for the classic book Very Happy

[/quote] Paulie sh!tting his pants LMAO [quote]

.....LMAO

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great time Rookie....I have tomorrow off & sat. but i have a tournie on sat. I'm not sure what days off next week....I would help with the gas & pay the launching fees & Licenses.....Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a really cool read over the history. http://www.westfordcomp.com/quabbin/

For those of you who want the good parts, but dont wanna read the whole thing....

Flooding of the valley started in mid August 1939 and in 1946 the reservior was filled to capacity

Houses were bulldozed, bodies dug up (except for Native Americans), factories demolished and millions acres of trees were cut down.

When you are on the water you can look down and see the ghostly remains of old foundations and stonewalls built many years ago by the long dead inhabitants of the four lost towns. Some people claim that the Quabbin is haunted and if you've ever been within it's borders after dark you'd find yourself hard pressed to argue with them.

Satellite: http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/article/0,13355,1618550_13,00.html

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see that Rookie only posted the pictures of his big fish, none of my big ones, ha ha..
Threw my first cast at 6:20 am and hooked a fish. After that we literally caught fish non-stop until we had to leave at 6:20 pm. unbeleivable!
Oh, and that pickeral was a freakin monster!
Don't quite remember what I was doing in that strange pic of me that appears to be me crapping my pants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: