CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Question on taking Trout off of the hook... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattyk182

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Question on taking Trout off of the hook... Reply with quote

I can't tell you how many times I've caught Trout and they completely swallow the hook. I've heard many different things about what to do when this happens but after having it happen to me again today and not being able to save the fish, I would like a direct answer so I don't kill the fish trying to take it off. What suggestions do you guys and girls give for situations such as this one? A lot of people have told me to just cut the line and the hook will work it's way out naturally but I have a hard time believing that.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try using circle hooks. I have had good luck with them. On occasion when I have gut hooked a fish I was able to thread the hook back through and get it out by just clipping the line. Thread - meaning to push it through like a doctor does a stitch. If you can't accomplish that your best option is to clip the line and hope for the best. The hooks can rust out and drop out of the fish. I have actually caught a trout that was in the process of passing a small bait hook. So it does happen. Hope this helps.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with above statement. Fish hooks are made to rust out quickly so if you cant get it out just clip it limiting as much line as you can.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go by the cut the line trick. If the fish swallowed the hook and you'd rather not go through trying to get it out and aren't going to keep it, just cut the line and the hook will eventually rust. Some fish even digest hooks that go into their stomachs.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When trout fishing I crimp my barbs. Makes it very easy to remove with needle nose pliers.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing I mainly C&R and since having a bluefish on one end of a bomber and me on the other I ALWAYS fish barbless hooks. When bait fishing I also use Circle hooks which are designed to not end up deep int he fish. When ever a hook does, trim the line and let it go. The less stress of trying to remove it the better.

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
Mattyk182

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've never used circle hooks before but I've heard great things about them. I hear the success rate is higher of catching a fish with one. Should I just go with Eagle Claw size 10's for trout?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest change you will find with using circle hooks is to NOT set the hook. Hard habit to change and will cause you to miss many fish which in turn cause people to complain circle hooks are no good - not true. You don't set a circle hook, you gradually add tension to line which forces the circle hook to slide up and into the corner of the mouth.

as far as sizes go, I use the same size circle hooks as the J hook size I was using. Give it a try and after you set the hook 10 or 12 times and miss the fish, you will start to figure it out. Very Happy

Visit my Blog at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com
Mattyk182

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the help everyone. I'll try some circle once I get around to walmart or Sports Authority.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Hook Reply with quote

When you see the line start to move when you have it out, let them take it for a few seconds, then slowly pick up the rod, then wait to see if they stil have it, then set the hook, dont let them run with it while you want them to eat it. or just use a bigger size hook. if you use six, use a four. and always bring a skinny set of pliers with you.
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
Mattyk182

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hook Reply with quote

Fisherman100 wrote:
When you see the line start to move when you have it out, let them take it for a few seconds, then slowly pick up the rod, then wait to see if they stil have it, then set the hook, dont let them run with it while you want them to eat it. or just use a bigger size hook. if you use six, use a four. and always bring a skinny set of pliers with you.

I use a size 10. My buddy uses a size 8 and it happens to him all the time too. They always swim away fine if you cut the line quick but I hate having to set my line up every time they do it. Isn't a size 6 too big?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: hook Reply with quote

no, i caught all my trout this year on size 6. i caught 14 trout this year on size 6. all between 12 inch to 16 inch trout
Facebook.com/LorenzoNReyes
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer an 8 myself. I dont let them take much line at all cause thats most likely to let them swallow it.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second on what Fishfinder said about them taking line.
Mattyk182

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I try to set the hook without them swallowing, I lose the fish. I'm going to try lifting up gradually next time to see if I have any luck with that method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: