CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: quick question - can i fish for trout now??
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: quick question - can i fish for trout now?? Reply with quote

Hey guys- this may seem like a stupid question but I want to be sure.

I bought this magazine (New England Fish and Game) and they keep talking about March trout fishing in CT. I thought the season for trout closed Feb 28th and doesn't open til "opening day". Is that only for lakes?? B/c the magazine had several articles about early season trout fishing in streams but I thought that was off limits....I don't trout fish often but want to try a few more times this year and if I can hit a small stream or river (like the Mattabasset) I would...

thanks guys..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BGH!

Yes! ALL trout waters are CLOSED till Opening Day.

With the exception of certain listed Ct. lakes and ponds that are open with a 1 fish limit per day and have to be 16" or better. (March 1 to March 31).

See the Ct. Angler's Guide fot listings Exclamation

SeaDog1
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to check the anglers guide as SD says. I know there are certain parts of the Farmington river that are open year round but this time of year it's barbless hooks only and catch & release only. I'm sure there are other waters open in CT with similar restrictions as well.
JiggyWithIt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can catch and release for trout in stretches of West Branch Farmington, Salmon and several other all year round river fishing but check the book because some areas are restricted to fly fishing only!!! There is some really good fishing going on in these areas you wouldn't believe it!!! I have caught 3 over 4lbs this past week and have been slamming the trout everywhere! It almost ruins the regular season fishing with the stockies being so small. I fish the Willamantic, Scantic and Hockanum Rivers catching huge trout with really pretty colors in these polluted waters but the rivers are pretty swift these days so if you work the river with waders like I do BE CAREFUL Exclamation Exclamation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hockanum is a great river always productive ,from union pond to east hartford..And i have seen what they dump into the salmon river and let me tell you,,holy @#$%...last year i watched them stock some of the trout were decent from 2 to 4 pounders and then has you really stare at whats in the net ,for every netfull coming out of that truck there had to be 2 or 3 trout over 8lbs sounds crazy but they confirmed it ,that at least 60 to 80 trout going into that river were over 8 lbs...........
BassGetHooked

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification gentlemen. I don't wanna be caught out fishing when/where I'm not supposed to. I gotta get to troutin' more this year...I used to go to the Farmington and Salmon rivers on occasion but it's been a few years since I've gone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fished the Farmington Friday and there were a lots of guys out fishing in and out. I was actually practicing with my float rod and real to get some practice casting in. I moved in on a guy that was fly fishing that just left a nice hole. I took about ten drifts and landed a nice fat female rainbow about 16". I fished that stretch for @ 45mins with nothing else biting and a couple of dudes jumped on top of my hole with a whole GD river to fish they decided it was best to cast some bass plugs right on top of me... so I left knowing I landed a nice bow and returned it and considered it schooled for the next hour. I was using an orange trout bead if anyone is interested. No pics that day...next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: